ROF Wrexham during WW2 the site employed 13,000 workers. The factory made cordite, an explosive propellent for shells. The site was chosen for its distance from German bomber bases in Europe while having good rail networks and a rural location that provided a good supply of labour. The complex was spread over a large area to minimise any damage from aerial attack. The main buildings were camouflaged and existing farm buildings were left in situ to help protect the site against reconnaissance. Many of the original buildings can still be seen today and still house smaller businesses on the estate; these can be distinguished from the 1950s buildings by large grids near the roof, essential for ventilation of the buildings.
The site was well defended, both on the ground and from the air several type 22 and type 24 pillboxes still remain in the area, found in areas untouched by modern industrial developments, and the entire site was under a mile away from RAF Wrexham, which was home to at least one fighter squadron, for defending the region's industrial assets from bomber attack.
After the war, the need for cordite ceased, and in 1945 the production facilities at Wrexham closed. Many of the buildings were left in place, abandoned, and agriculture again took over the fields surrounding the area.
Thanks for looking