real time web analytics
Ropoto, Trikala, Greece (Sinking village) - August 2017 | European and International Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Ropoto, Trikala, Greece (Sinking village) - August 2017

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

felix()

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Visited this place a few times now, it's one of those places you can see over and over and never grow tired. It's a pretty unknown village in Greece so has very few visitors.

History:
Ropoto was home to 300 families until a major landslide in Spring 2012. Minor landslides in Ropoto had been frequent since the 1960's and after every winter, preventative measures were taken including diverting water away from the mountain and into a nearby river. In 2012, however, they were not able to do this and within months one of the biggest landslides Central Greece has ever seen struck and destroyed Ropoto's terrain, taking with it most of the towns homes and infrastructure. No one from the state has ever come to the village to assess or evaluate the damage and after the devastation endured by Ropoto’s people, they were offered no help at all. Their hometown was simply forgotten, written off the map. The village is mostly uninhabitable and yet residents are still required to pay property tax on their broken, abandoned homes which are slowly sinking down the mountain. Three or four homes are still occupied by owners who refuse to leave.

20170820_150202.jpg

20170820_151624.jpg

20170820_151831.jpg

20170820_152153.jpg

20170820_152628.jpg

20170820_152826.jpg

20170820_153301.jpg

20170820_153417.jpg

20170820_153510.jpg

20170820_155458.jpg

20170820_161422.jpg

20170820_161428.jpg

20170820_162651.jpg

20170820_162726.jpg

20170820_163347.jpg

20170820_163359.jpg

IMG_0549.JPG

IMG_0550.JPG

IMG_0558.JPG

IMG_0559.JPG

IMG_0561.JPG

IMG_0563.JPG

IMG_0568.JPG

IMG_0570.JPG

IMG_0573.JPG

IMG_0580.JPG

IMG_0604.JPG

IMG_0618.JPG

IMG_0629.JPG

IMG_0608.JPG

LeaveNoStonedUnturned

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Still have to pay tax, that's greece for you! Dimos (the council, the state) won't help cause it will cost too much, but any land or property owned in Greece, they'll charge you out the ass for!

Great report, and great find! Good job!
If you're back in Greece anytime soon and fancy some company on an explore, hit me up!

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
:thumb Some great shots there, lovely houses and that 2nd shot, wow lovely building. Might be an idea to invest in a tripod though. I get the village is sinking therefore houses will be wonky.

I know Greece well, and yep as they are all finished taxes will be due. If builders leave the rods poking out of a new build, I believe its classed as not finished, and so tax is avoided, just something my aunt told me, she lives there.

I personally love Greece. It one of my favourite spots .:thumb

LeaveNoStonedUnturned

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
That's no longer the case, CalamityJane. It used to be though, until no one finished buildings ever (apart from hotels and such). Unfortunately you pay tax on the same things multiple times now in Greece. If you own land - tax. If there's olive tree's on that land - tax. If there's a building, non-residential, residential, finished or in finished - tax.
You even have to pay to fill out the paperwork to register these things in order to pay tax on them.
Essentially, anything in your name, used or unused you're paying for.

Calamity Jane

Regular User
That's no longer the case, CalamityJane. It used to be though, until no one finished buildings ever (apart from hotels and such). Unfortunately you pay tax on the same things multiple times now in Greece. If you own land - tax. If there's olive tree's on that land - tax. If there's a building, non-residential, residential, finished or in finished - tax.
You even have to pay to fill out the paperwork to register these things in order to pay tax on them.
Essentially, anything in your name, used or unused you're paying for.

Oh wow, didnt know it changed, that a bummer, our family own land over there. Also they have an apartment there. No wonder they offered us the land lol, wondered why it was offered. I know now, cheers LNSUT . I wont be taking their offer lol . How times change in so little years.

LeaveNoStonedUnturned

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Oh wow, didnt know it changed, that a bummer, our family own land over there. Also they have an apartment there. No wonder they offered us the land lol, wondered why it was offered. I know now, cheers LNSUT . I wont be taking their offer lol . How times change in so little years.
Well, depending on where the land is, how much, and what is on the land it could be worth it. If it is olive trees, and you're willing to work the land, or rent the land to someone that will work and maintain the land, then it could be worth it.
Or (depending on tradition restrictions on buildings) it could be worth building a house and selling the entire plot, that is if it doesn't have such personal family value, which is unlikely in Greece.

Calamity Jane

Regular User
Well, depending on where the land is, how much, and what is on the land it could be worth it. If it is olive trees, and you're willing to work the land, or rent the land to someone that will work and maintain the land, then it could be worth it.
Or (depending on tradition restrictions on buildings) it could be worth building a house and selling the entire plot, that is if it doesn't have such personal family value, which is unlikely in Greece.

Yep all true, its been something we been thinking about for 2 years now. Trying to decide if we want it or not. We wanted to build on it, but there is no road as such there at the moment, so its pretty daunting task. Will think on. Cheers for more info. I love the Olive trees, they are everywhere it seems, Ive yet to see the whole piece of land yet, so not sure if the trees are there. We have them on one site, and around the apartment, but other family members are taking those bits. So we`ll see.