real time web analytics
Report - - Rosary Road Chalk Mine/Air raid Shelter. May 2012 | Mines and Quarries | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Rosary Road Chalk Mine/Air raid Shelter. May 2012

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Altair

Poking holes since '84
28DL Full Member
This was a solo explore due to time wasters but not the first time I've been in here. Although this is a fairly small site it is easily my favourite local splore. Just a small selection of pictures from various visits to this place.

Some history, although it's all been covered before.

"In the early 19th century the lime-kilns and chalk workings around this area were fully exploited but by the end of the century housing and industrial development had made access to the pits and tunnels difficult and they eventually were abandoned. However, they continued to be used as places for storage. Thompson & Sons, for instance, used the caves and tunnels (Rosary road) when they occupied the Chalk Hill Works site as a natural storehouse for iron, zinc and tin, erecting two stout doors at the entrances to the main tunnels. In the 19th century Coleman's Brewery Company occupied the site and used the tunnels for extensive storage."

rosary12.jpg

rosary11.jpg

rosary10.jpg

rosary9.jpg

rosary8.jpg

rosary7.jpg

rosary6.jpg

Rosary1.jpg

The site was also used as an air raid shelter during the second world war and some of the bunks, stretchers and toilets buckets and cubicles still remain.

rosary5.jpg

rosary4.jpg

Rosary3.jpg

Who has read this thread (Total: 4) View details