real time web analytics
Report - - Rotherhithe Gasometer, Rotherhithe - Feb 2015 | High Stuff | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Rotherhithe Gasometer, Rotherhithe - Feb 2015

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Distra

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
IMG_1351_zpszcpiyerk.jpg

I promised more reports and finally I’m back from enjoying the dizzying heights of London’s skyline to share my recent adventures.

Despite my love for building sites I found myself drawn towards this lonely Gasometer which still imposes itself on the peninsula, it seemed rude not to give it a shot. It’s been my one and only thus far but I’m already looking forward to scaling a few more.

History

The Rotherhithe gasometer and its associated gas works (like many in London) were a byproduct of a time when gas was manufactured (Via the burning of coal) and stored locally.

The nearby Thames tunnel (currently used by London overground) opened in 1843 and with its lighting provided by 100 gas lights the local demand rocketed. Cue the founding in 1851 of the Rotherhithe gas works by the Surry Consumers Gas Company with its eventual opening in 1855.

A merger with the South Metropolitan Gas Company followed and by 1894 the site had 3 gasometers, a dedicated rail track and a jetty to handle coal deliveries.

Two more gasometers were built in the 1930’s but the bombing of London during WW2 led to the destruction of two of the four and finally 1959 brought about its closure.

Present

Most of the original gas works has been developed into housing and a smaller dilapidated site is all that remains. Number three gasometer (built in 1935) is the only surviving structure and dominates the site. The jetty can also be accessed by following the nearby Thames path. It is currently used by a gas company to store vans (+ general rubbish) and the gasometer itself has a mobile phone antenna bolted to it.

The Explore

After a few inconspicuous walks around the site perimeter I came up with a few possible routes in and then waited for the sun to go down in order to try them out.

The area stayed busy until late but 3am brought a lull in the foot and road traffic and after a frustrating 30 mins I found myself stood at the base of my first gasometer.

Walking around site was difficult as there is rubbish all over the place interspersed with the occasional piece of industrial equipment (rusty pipes and pumps etc.) but overall ground level was a little lackluster except for a soft toy that someone had tortured/murdered on a gas valve ;)

My happiness was short lived when I discovered the thing had a gate and anti-climb measures in place.

Undeterred, some experimentation revealed a way around the anti-climb by climbing (the irony) and I emerged at the perimeter of a rusting dome, just what the doctor ordered!

A quick walk around the base revealed the bad condition of its roller bearings, standing water, plants and general muck. With the smell of methane strong on the southern side I returned to the access stairs ready to choose between dome or ladder. Some tentative steps out onto the dome with the occasional creak and I turned back for what this trip really was about. Time to go up.

The ladders felt sound with four levels in total, each having only a small area to rest and the ladders being near vertical. I felt pretty exposed as the site is next to a road and you can hear people around Surrey dock also. I stopped at the top for some pictures before moving away from the mobile antenna to sit and enjoy the view.

All in all it was a good first gasometer outing, here are some pics:

IMG_1310_zpswmjgh9bj.jpg

IMG_1348_zpsmpua1quj.jpg

IMG_1336_zpsp7oent1f.jpg

IMG_1325_zpsughwmdf0.jpg

IMG_1326_zps6zoxjbkb.jpg

IMG_1499_zpsuvggsxsc.jpg

IMG_1504_zps1das1zpz.jpg

IMG_1324_zpscuzp9i0u.jpg

Distra

Distra

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Thanks,

It was a good view and tbh I don't think the pics do it justice. I could have stayed up there for ages but it's very exposed and even at night its easy to spot someone up there.

GAJ

Mr Muscle
28DL Full Member
Well done, it's a nice skinny one this but those mobile phone antennas are a bit too close for my liking at the top. Plus I had no bloody reception up there :rolleyes:

Good stuff :thumb