real time web analytics
Report - - Royal Doulton Ceramics, Stoke On Trent 2007 - 2015 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Royal Doulton Ceramics, Stoke On Trent 2007 - 2015

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

dweeb

28DL Regular User
Regular User
DSC_0224_zpsvfwq1pw5.jpg

DSC_0225_zpsikcvkdvy.jpg

We were in Stoke today digging holes, and on the way home drove past the vast expanse of rubble that was one of the world's most famous names in fine china, Royal Doulton.

I've always had a keen interest in the ceramics industry. Back in the early days of exploring there was a lot to be seen in Stoke, a result of the rapid decline in the ceramics industry in the early 2000's. Doulton was one of the largest casualties, closing in 2005 and moving production to the far east. This in itself was a huge blow for the city, but the story of the works post closure is a long tale of woe and could be a case study for any city on "what not to do" with important historic buildings.

Stoke On Trent (for anyone that has not spent time there) is a city in decline, peppered with vacant plots of land, decrepit buildings and empty houses. Considering the relics of the ceramics industry are probably the best string to the bow of a future for the city, the council have allowed fine examples of the buildings that gave the area it's name to become so derelict that demolition is (apparently) the only fate for them. Wetherby, Doulton, Falcon works, Acme Marls but to name just a few.

6785225-large.jpg

Doulton was mostly demolished a few years ago, but the original office and casting shops were retained for conversion. They sat, in a field of rubble for years, slowly being raped of roofing slates and metal until a fire destroyed an upper floor. The remaining buildings were unceremoniously demolished in 2014.

None of the decorative stonework, or the WW1 war memorial were preserved. Lest We forget indeed...

There is now a campaign to preserve the factory gates, which is utterly laughable.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-stoke-staffordshire-28247366

Retarded...
http://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/Doul...etter-Mervyn/story-24472635-detail/story.html

Anyway back to the explores... Doulton was epic. Huge, un-spoilt and un-modernized. The kiln still contained half finished ware, decorator's brushes still sat on turn tables. The original building had a stunning ceiling buried under a modern suspended replacement, where ancient anaglypta wallpaper still clung to the plaster. Even the carpet was personalized, with the companies crest in the pile.

The boiler house was equally amazing, marked with the 'boiler house seal of approval'... a Hopkinson gauge.

I'm going to make an effort to get more of the ceramics factories reposted as I don't think we will ever see stuff quite like this again.

DSC_0223_zpstt4dgndy.jpg

DSC_0561_zpsr2oktgxg.jpg

DSC_0580_zpsfykey7uo.jpg
DSC_0531_zpswzienypo.jpg

Losers...
DSC_0571_zps7m78toin.jpg

DSC_0542_zpsk0csksmt.jpg

DSC_0519_zpsrgljvryh.jpg

DSC_0515_zpsk8li4ipz.jpg

DSC_0528_zpsfn6tcvlc.jpg
DSC_0385_zpsmwcef5pg.jpg

DSC_0373_zpsh0jb1did.jpg

DSC_0369_zpsxnovlqob.jpg

DSC_0347_zpsripkqjkv.jpg
DSC_0340_zpsfkczqchu.jpg

DSC_0330_zpsva1v2fi6.jpg

DSC_0316_zpslmomvdve.jpg

DSC_0334_zps0lziz9ns.jpg

DSC_0314_zpsbsmbmuqe.jpg

DSC_0265_zpspjarzdpj.jpg

DSC_0237_zps1jft8ynw.jpg

Up in the original ceiling
DSC_0427_zpsxqkwtriq.jpg

DSC_0432_zpsdhuq6jkq.jpg

DSC_0264_zpsvmgin4iw.jpg
DSC_0460_zpsowirthu7.jpg

DSC_0429_zpssplpnvi8.jpg

DSC_0417_zpsggs0fmag.jpg

dweeb

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Few more...

Quite of it's time!
DSC_0599_zpsyhgf9im8.jpg

The administration building had been refurbished post war, but was still quite lavish and very dated!
DSC_0602_zpsdagyvxcy.jpg

I suppose someone wants this saved too
DSC_0186_zpsnfdlgoce.jpg

Extent of the site from the roof of the boiler house
DSC_0307_zpsmpgiczxi.jpg

DSC_0291_zpsrarblqxo.jpg

DSC_0289_zpsmmirl470.jpg

DSC_0338_zpsfj1qlwbf.jpg

Ahh Hopkinson...
DSC_0322_zpsbjsk2zod.jpg

DSC_0323_zpsp3aka7y9.jpg

DSC_0346_zpsfbyff9e7.jpg

DSC_0371_zpskpnagdib.jpg

DSC_0397_zpsmrr8zgfk.jpg

DSC_0398_zpslrqegpr9.jpg

DSC_0342_zpsocvfq00f.jpg

The bronze had been stolen but I don't think that was any excuse not to preserve what was left... even if the names of the fallen had been painted in the stone.
DSC_0400_zpsvrsqtgql.jpg

DSC_0424_zpsjkutt2vq.jpg

Alley

Conspicuous Loiterer
Regular User
Awesome! I have many happy memories of pottering around here :)

Speed

Got Epic?
Regular User
More of these please! I missed seeing this in its prime.. the rest of the car wanted to go to whittingham instead :(

raisinwing

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Nice to see these photos and those of Twyfords again, gutted that I wasn't exploring when the big potteries were still worth looking around; Doulton, Tams Blyth Works, Spode amongst many others.

I spent a bit of time at Doultons before it was demolished last year but there wasn't really anything to see unfortunately.

I need to go and check, but I'm pretty sure that Weatherby's was on fire again yesterday afternoon.

Peloquin

28DL Member
28DL Member
Sorry to drag up an old post but I just wanted to say these pics bought back some memories.
I used to work at the Beswick factory in Longton. Beswick was one of the other Doulton factories in the area.
I worked at Nile Street for a while when Beswick was struggling and recognise quite a few spots and even one of the names written on the supports.
Thanks for this post.