real time web analytics
Report - - Royd Mill, Oldham - April 2013. | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Royd Mill, Oldham - April 2013.

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Ojay

Admin
Staff member
Admin

Royd Mill, Oldham

1.jpg

Built in 1907 by Murgatroyds of the nearby Sunnyside House, but taken over shortly afterwards by the Royd Mill Ltd

Five storeys high on a cellar where the cotton would be conditioned, an external engine shed, behind the chimney and a prominent water tower (being the main stair tower)

The Mill was extended in 1912 and again in 1924

The Bank of England set up the Lancashire Cotton Corporation in 1929 to attempt to rationalise and save the industry

In the 1930's, Royd Mill was one of 104 mills bought by the L.C.C, and one of the 53 mills that survived through to 1950

It was eventually absorbed into the Courtaulds Group in 1964 and continued spinning under Courtaulds Ltd until they closed it's doors in 1981

Since this time it's had a numbeer of occupiers, one of the last known being Raygrade Ltd

Please don't adjust your mince pies, the forum isn't broken again :p:

That said its rare I stray from drains, but the occasional bit of 'erritage never did any harm now did it ?

I do have a soft spot for local cotton mills. These pics are quite old now and surfaced whilst I was rummaging through a pile of back log (excuse the pun)

An easy enough explore at the time, I nipped in the main gate and continued to grab some pics as it was the only real chance I had before it was pulled down

I'd almost finished with the place when I was busted nipping into the boiler room, the lads were sound and asked me if I knew someone who fitted the description of Bnugle

Unbeknown to me, him and Medno had poked about here a couple of days before, I left the lads to finish their joint whilst I took a couple more snaps and left them alone to break shit

2.jpg
3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

10a.jpg

Canteen, I expect this is where Bnugle spent most of his time whilst Medno bothered with pics :p:

11.jpg

I took this pic for Dweeb, just to show that pipes and valves do exist in these places :D

12.jpg

Extension

13.jpg

14.jpg

Part of the wall was covered in beer mats dating back to the 70's

15.jpg

No mill is complete without it's engine house, always full of win as a rule, this one no exception despite being stripped

Driven by a 900 hp inverted vertical triple expansion engine by J & E Wood, 1907. It had a 14/16 ft flywheel with 20 ropes, operating at 94 rpm

The original three Tetlow boilers still supplied steam at 180psi, when by 1961 electric drives were installed, and the engine was scrapped

The frame was unusual since there were only two columns in front, with twin feet to the single casting bed, the intermediate cylinder being supported by a massive cross casting

The cylinders, of 18.5, 28.5, and 43in bore by 3 ft 6in stroke, were all fitted with Corliss-valves, which in contrast to the maker's usual practice were fitted at the opposite sides of the cylinders. It ran at 94rpm, driving by 20 ropes from a 14 ft flywheel

16.jpg
17.jpg

18.jpg

19.jpg

20.jpg

Boiler House, sadly the original boilers were long gone :(

21.jpg

22.jpg

..Replaced with some modern day crap

23.jpg

Naturally I spent a bit of time on the roof taking in the views of an area I once lived

Still some evidence of King Cotton, although no textile work takes place these days, with the majority being used for storage and mail order firms etc :(

24.jpg

25.jpg

26.jpg

Thanks for looking :thumb

The Kwan

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Love the beermat wall, I had one myself and that conveyor looks fantastic, I know that you probably did but I am surprised not to see you hanging of the chimney stack :)

Camera Shy

Old enough to know better
Regular User
Millage. Had a funny run in one early morning with one of the occupants here with host whilst it was still in use.
Some nice plans left in the engine house too if you found them ?

Speed

Got Epic?
Regular User
Im still a bit pissed off i didnt get to see it simply because of the amount of times we tried before it was really empty!