real time web analytics
Report - - Rugeley Power Station, Staffordshire [January 2017] | UK Power Stations | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Rugeley Power Station, Staffordshire [January 2017]

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Polo

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member

Visited with @clebby and a Non-Member.

History:
The site in Staffordshire consisted of two power stations - Rugeley A and Rugeley B. Construction of the A station started in 1956 and was officially opened by Lord Robens of Woldingham and Sir Christopher Hinton seven years later on October 1st 1963. Two of the station's generating units were decommissioned in 1994, with the other three following in 1995. Having burned nearly 42 million tonnes of coal in its lifetime, Rugeley A was finally demolished later on that year.

Construction of Rugeley B power station began in 1965, with completion of the station in 1972. With both stations in operation, 850 people were employed at the stations in 1983. The two stations were initially operated by the Central Electricity Generating Board, but following privatisation in 1990, were handed over to National Power. The Lea Hall colliery was closed on January 24th 1991, meaning all coal burned in the stations needed to be delivered by rail.

In July 1996 the Rugeley B power station was bought by Eastern Generation, itself acquired by TXU Europe. Rugeley B was subsequently sold to International Power PLC in July 2001. It remains under the same ownership, though International Power later merged with GDF Suez in 2011.

In February 2016 it was announced that the power station would close in the summer of 2016. An announcement by owners, Engie blamed a deterioration in market conditions which included a fall in market prices and increasing carbon costs. The closure will result in the loss of 150 jobs.

Rugeley Power Station ceased all operations on Wednesday 8 June 2016. Decommissioning will be begin in June 2016. All buildings and structures on site are due for demolition lasting until around summer 2019.

Wow. This site was by far the most impressive I've done - not that I've visited too many in comparison to some of the people here! The size and height of the place as well as the stuff inside was truly amazing, something I've never really seen before.

After wrongly ending up on the M42 and detouring through the local towns and villages, we were finally there. We made our way to the turbine hall, control room and the workshops before deciding to call it a night/early morning and make our way back down the motorway.

With a close call right at the very end topping the visit off, this explore is right up there with one of the most enjoyable things I've done in a while! Anyway, onto the photos:

7UrgZbd.jpg

CuLHpQ6.jpg

ruqMpQg.jpg

IF7gW6j.jpg

qQQUeA3.jpg

ywmDIza.jpg

EAlHbOX.jpg

0mQoe99.jpg

5M07loh.jpg

Z6SYWLF.jpg

qfjTYmt.jpg

voushBB.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Last edited:

Seffy

Staff member
How did I know clebby's name would be mentioned in this report haha. Good effort, like that a lot.

Who has read this thread (Total: 7) View details