real time web analytics
Report - - Sanatorium du Basil - Belgium- 2016/2017 | European and International Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Sanatorium du Basil - Belgium- 2016/2017

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Blackeyed

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Some background information.

Somewhere deep in the Belgian ardennes surrounded by the woods, there's this huge, once-beautiful building. It is known as Sanatorium du Basil and it was one of the hotspots for explorers in Belgium for a long time. Around the start of the previous century, this sanatorium was built to treat tuberculosis patients. At the time, tbc was a disease that was hard to treat, contagious and often fatal. The location was chosen because the clean air and the quiet in this area was a perfect place for these patients to rest and heal. Luckily, when science learned more about the disease and it became treatable, the sanatorium was no longer needed. It has been used as a hospital for a while, but then another hospital opened nearby and this place was not needed anymore again. I believe at some point in time they also kept some mental patients in here, not exactly sure what time period that was.
About a decade ago the place has served as a refugee center, but seven years ago it was closed because of the high maintenance and electricity costs. Since then, this place has been a playground for photographers, explorers and later, sadly, a lot of vandals aswell. Then there's this story going around that somewhere around 2015, this building has also been used by a cult who are said to occasionally perform their dark rituals here. Explorers and photographers said they found traces of blood and orgies throughout the building. It's also said that the police found some belongings of two missing persons here. I have no idea what part of this is true and what's just urban legend.

The explore.

On a quiet day in November 2016 we visited this place for the first time. After a walk through the woods we found the place we were looking for. We had an idea of where it was situated, and because of its enormity this place was not hard to find. The terrain looked quiet, and we quickly found an unlocked door to enter through. The place was very big, but also mostly empty. The outside and the architecture were the best parts, but still we had a good time wandering around. We did not run into other people, except for this photography couple that greeted us when we walked into them. I was a little bothered by the vandalism, but compared to what I've seen of what the place looks like now, we had nothing to complain about back then. I've gone back to this place in the spring of 2017 and it already looked a lot worse by then. That was the last time I visited. I sometimes see some pictures of it pass by on facebook on instagram and the state of this place in 2020 makes me want to cry.
I read that the building has been bought by someone now, no idea why, think it should be very expensive to try and make something out of this after everything people did to it in the years it has been abandoned. But I hope it gets renovated.

Photo's.

The pretty exterior.

Inside.

The attic

On the roof.

Some extra buildings.

Down and beyond

The true source of englands wealth is coal
Regular User
It has serious potential that’s for sure , a good report well done keep seeing more and more of you ! Keep it up :thumb