real time web analytics
Report - - Sandhill Park Hosp, March 2010 (+ Fire news 22/11/11 - now with post fire night pics) | Asylums and Hospitals | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Sandhill Park Hosp, March 2010 (+ Fire news 22/11/11 - now with post fire night pics)

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

FrayedSanity

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
(EDIT: Big fire at the main building 22/11/11 - see further down thread)

This morning me and Styru visited Sandhill. Unfortunately those bloody chutney ferrets* have smashed it up to within an inch of it life but it is still an interesting visit

A quick history written by styru:

This disused hospital has been known by a variety of names:
Sandhill Park Hospital
Sandhill Park House
Sandhill Park Farm Colony
Sandhill Park Mental Defective Colony
41st General Military Hospital

The site was requisitioned by the military in August 1940 and became the 41st General Military Hospital. Most of the accommodation was in tents and huts. From 1941 the hospital was leased to the Americans as a neurological hospital for over 1000 patients in 32 new wards which were completed in 1942. The hospital remained in military use until 1944

The main building dates from 1720, with newer additions on site. At present the main building appears secure.The rest of the buildings on site have been chav'ed within an inch of their lives.

The main building is boarded up and alarmed as well as being heavily vandalized.

DSCF9561.jpg

The good ol' poison cupboard
DSCF9482.jpg

Styru attempting to look cool
DSCF9459.jpg

DSCF9445.jpg

DSCF9435.jpg

DSCF9423.jpg

DSCF9403.jpg

DSCF9379.jpg

DSCF9369.jpg

DSCF9353.jpg

DSCF9331.jpg

DSCF9329.jpg

DSCF9324.jpg

DSCF9320.jpg

DSCF9311.jpg

*Styru will explain this in his report which he will be posting later.

Last edited by a moderator:

Styru

Admin
28DL Full Member
Re: Sandhill Park Hospital, March 2010 (+ Fire news, 22:11:11)

Bugger!

Another hopelessly damp building that appears to caught fire :rolleyes:

_56857166_fire_221111_rushes000000.jpg

Derelict Sandhill Park mansion house gutted by fire

Emergency services were called to Sandhill Park, Bishops Lydeard, in the early hours.

A Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service spokesman said six crews and three hydraulic platforms were being used to tackle the fire

LINK

Styru

Admin
28DL Full Member
Re: Sandhill Park Hospital, March 2010

No way ! The main building was it ?

Yep, sounds like it's pretty bad - they were pumping water a mile and a half from our local health farms lakes when I passed this morning. :rolleyes:

Styru

Admin
28DL Full Member
Re: Sandhill Park Hospital, March 2010 (+Fire news 22/11/11)

The Fire Services info:

Numerous calls were made reporting a fire within a derelict mansion house at Sandhill Park, Bishops Lydeard.

Two fire engines from Taunton were mobilised along with an officer. When booking in attendance they asked for four further fire engines, water carrier, incident command unit, incident support unit and hydraulic platform. These are all sent from Taunton, Wiveliscombe, Williton and Yeovil.

This is a 3 storey derelict mansion approximately 50m x 40m approx 30-40% of first floor well alight. Crews are at working setting up a foam branch and using main jets, as well as setting up the hydraulic platform.

Update at 0405

This incident is now sectorised into sectors 1 and 3. Crews at work using 1 foam branch, 2 main jets getting to work with hydraulic platform from Taunton.

Update at 0540

High volume pump (HVP) has been requested from Taunton which was mobilised with a support pump and landrover from Wellington. This is to enable water supply to the incident so that they can keep the number of fire engines at the incident down. Fire is now involving second and third floors and roof space. Full fire fighting continuing using 3 hydraulic platforms, and using 3 fire engines for water relay whilst awaiting HVP to set up.

Update at 0725

Aerial platforms are still at work, fire has spread to remaining roof space due to difficult access and construction of the roof. Crews are currently waiting for the HVP to supply water from Bishops Lydeard. Six pumping appliances are still in attendance.

Update at 1000

The HVP has now been in operation for some time, pumping water to supply two aerial ladder platform appliances. A building inspector is in attendance, and asbestos is involved in the incident. Relief crews are arriving on the scene, and transition is taking place.

Update at 1500

Crews are still damping down hotspots using the aerial ladder platforms. Further relief crews from Taunton and Bridgwater are attending, and the incident is scaling down further to two fire engines.

Styru

Admin
28DL Full Member

Just back from a little late night visit, still 3 or 4 units on site, with lots of coming/going of vehicles.

DSC_2341.jpg

DSC_2335.jpg

DSC_2346.jpg

DSC_2350.jpg

DSC_2348.jpg

DSC_2370.jpg

DSC_2364.jpg

DSC_2356.jpg

View attachment 397076

Sad to see.

Those that know the place may know the old boy, sorry "Mr I'm Security", that guarded the place - well he still is guarding it (er, bit late mate :rolleyes:)

Him: "Don't bother getting that camera out, you are not allowed to take pictures"
Me: "Well there's no law against it mate - but don't worry. I'm putting it away not getting it out - I've been here for over an hour"
Him: "Do you know what will happen if I get my phone out??
Me: "oh - is it Angry Birds?"
Him: "Do you want me to phone my associate?"
Me: "If you do, do you think he will bring coffee and doughnuts"

As I wandered off back across the field Mr Uber-security kept shining his search-blaster down the field to check I was leaving (wave to the nice man) well I carry a handful of these:

picture-5.png

They are a couple of quid for ten from dealextreme - and good to use a bit like tealights - as they can be locked 'on'

Well, whoops, I accidentally left 3 of them, on and hanging in various trees I passed on the way across the field - I am now drinking coffee in front of a real fire - and I imagine he is still shouting "I can see you" at trees

Xan_Asmodi

Cave Monster
28DL Full Member

Just back from a little late night visit, still 3 or 4 units on site, with lots of coming/going of vehicles.

Sad to see.

Those that know the place may know the old boy, sorry "Mr I'm Security", that guarded the place - well he still is guarding it (er, bit late mate :rolleyes:)

Him: "Do you know what will happen if I get my phone out??
Me: "oh - is it Angry Birds?"
Him: "Do you want me to phone my associate?"
Me: "If you do, do you think he will bring coffee and doughnuts"

What a dick! It's difficult to gauge the state of the place at night, but the earlier pics look fierce!

Last edited by a moderator:

markymark

The shadow
28DL Full Member
Re: Sandhill Park Hosp, March 2010 (+ Fire news 22/11/11 - now with post fire night p

We bumped in to said old man. Kindly let us out the side door when we had finished. Saved climbing back thru that small window ! Thanks and goodbye

Squirrell 911

28DL Regular User
Regular User

Should have asked him if his baked potato was ready :D

zhs

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member

Well, whoops, I accidentally left 3 of them, on and hanging in various trees I passed on the way across the field - I am now drinking coffee in front of a real fire - and I imagine he is still shouting "I can see you" at trees

Ha- this cheered me up no end thinking about some jobworth running around the woods & leaping out to find....nothing! Good work :)

Chaos

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Re: Sandhill Park Hosp, March 2010 (+ Fire news 22/11/11 - now with post fire night p

Not another one set ablaze :-(

Asylum Raider

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member

ffs! another beauty accidentally catches fire by mislaid paraffin and matches :(

Kinger

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member

This is quite a sad thing to find out. I enjoyed our visit here all those years ago, it was one of our first explores that required a "day out", it certainly whet my appetite for more...