real time web analytics
Report - - Sardis Independent Chapel, Llanfihangel-y-Pennant : April 2023 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Sardis Independent Chapel, Llanfihangel-y-Pennant : April 2023

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

JakeV50

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Sardis Independent Chapel, Llanfihangel-y-Pennant

While on our yearly Welsh road trip, me and @dansgas1000 visited this little chapel, it really was right in the middle of nowhere. The area was beautiful. Absolutely no phone service, no traffic noise, just the noise of the wind and the birds. There is a small river called ‘Nant yr Eira’ flowing just behind the chapel.

Its currently in a pretty sorry state, with the roof being inside the chapel itself. I did manage to find a few photos from when the chapel was in good condition after it had closed which I shall attach. I was hoping for it to be in slightly better condition, I still enjoyed it anyway! Same can't be said for dan, who started chucking himself about on the floor, got covered in mud and was then in a shitty mood for the next few hours....

It was constructed in 1820 with a few altercations carried out in 1839. The chapel is built in the Vernacular style with a long wall entry plan. A redesign in the late 19th century saw the pulpit moved to the gable end. The chapel closed around 1980 and was put up for sale in 2003 in a disused state. There are also 2 cottages attached to the chapel which are in a very ruined state, there is a rather large, well-established tree growing up through the furthermost end cottage. There are no notable features left in the cottages apart from a few fireplaces.

IMG_9631.jpg

IMG_9636.jpg

IMG_9637.jpg

Looking through the broken window

IMG_9622.jpg

IMG_9590.jpg

IMG_9594.jpg

IMG_9592.jpg

IMG_9597.jpg

IMG_9599.jpg

IMG_9601.jpg

IMG_9617.jpg

The old iron gate onto the grounds

IMG_9607.jpg

IMG_9623.jpg

IMG_9625.jpg

A large fallen tree near the chapel, I like the moss growing on it

IMG_9643.jpg

IMG_9642.jpg

A small stone outbuilding just downstream from the chapel

IMG_9641.jpg

The chapel in 2008

Capture.PNG

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
That is in a really sorry state, shame as it could have been looked after. But great images. I like the last image, nature and decay. I wonder who this chapel was built for/serve