real time web analytics
Report - - Sathorn Unique Tower, Bangkok 2014 | European and International Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Sathorn Unique Tower, Bangkok 2014

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

tatsol

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
History
'Sathorn Unique Tower is an unfinished skyscraper in the Thai capital city of Bangkok. Planned as a high-rise condominium complex, construction of the building was halted during the 1997 Asian financial crisis, when it was already about 80 percent complete. It is now among the most prominent of Bangkok's many derelict buildings, and has become a destination for urban explorers.'
--Wikipedia

The building's commercial brochure reads;

“Sathorn Unique Tower is our first residential project in downtown Bangkok. The tower is 49 stories with the total of 659 residential units and 54 retails, located only less than 200 meters from BTS: Taksin station. Sathorn Unique Tower is also located at the edge of old commercial town of Charernkrung meets the new international business zone of Silom-Sathorn roads. It sits on the horse-shoe bend which is considered the best place for overlook at the Bangkok’s grand cityscape and the charm of the Chaopraya River.”

From the outside, many describe it as giving an eerie post-apocalyptic feel and is also known as Sathorn Ghost Tower. Similarly designed sister building is State Tower, which was famous featured in the movie Hangover 2 with its iconic golden rooftop dome.

Scouting the perimeter
Looking for a way into the building I found a car park directly opposite, that had what looked like a flimsy walkway across.

DSC_1113.JPG

DSC_1616.JPG

Going up another level to check it out. Looks like it might be too late. It's been blocked off on the other side.

DSC_1618.JPG

DSC_1628.JPG

DSC_1629.JPG

DSC_1619.JPG

No luck here then. Although I did find some cute cats, assuming they belong to the homeless that live here.

DSC_1599.JPG

DSC_1652.JPG

DSC_1658.JPG

It was time to leave the car park as there was no way to access the building from here anymore.

Second attempt
Time to have a look for a way in through the ground floor complex. I read that the stairwell was locked and I would have to find someone to unlock it for a 'fee'. Might as well check it out anyway.

DSC_1117.JPG

DSC_1121.JPG

Better not wake the sleeping dog ;)

DSC_1120.JPG

No way to get up the main stairwell. How about the elevator shaft? Nah I'll pass.

DSC_1129.JPG

DSC_1130.JPG

DSC_1128.JPG

Journey to the top continues
Time to look for some more leads. Trying to communicate with some of the locals in the area, no one seemed like they knew anything or wanted anything to do with the tower. Walked around some more, there were some street stalls near the tower, opposite a temple nearby. I asked a man,

"Kor tod kap! How to get up there?" pointing to the top of the tower.
"Ah no key, no have. Give me number, I call you when come back."

I left my Thai number with him and that was that. Several hours later, I got the call.

"OK you come now! 5 minute, OK?"
"OK! I'm coming now. Kob kun kap."

I call my friend who was also interested in coming but I wasn't sure if he had plans already. We both scramble down the road, luckily we were staying at Lebua State Tower at an air BnB and weren't too far away.

We arrive at the street stall I was at earlier that day. The man prompts us to buy something from his stall. He sold various assortments of brass, jade and wooden Buddha statues. He motions at the tower and tells us that it will protect us. Superstition must be a big thing, that or he just wanted a quick sale. I thought I'll buy something anyway, as he helped me get access. Once we bought our 'lucky charms' he stepped aside and motioned us to go through the entrance, to a woman who was sat on the ground and a makeshift table.

"She say you pay 1000 baht, you pay 500 baht, OK?"
"OK."

Onwards to the woman, we decided to negotiate 500 baht each and after a minute or so she calls over the guy who bears the key. Finally. We are lead towards the stairwell and he unlocks the gate.

We didn't have a clue at the time how many stairs we had to climb but it felt like forever. We did stop to take a look at some floors on the way up to cool down.

DSC_1910.JPG

DSC_1914.JPG

DSC_1917.JPG

Probably about halfway up, we took a small break from the endless flights of stairs to get water and cool down. Not a bad view.

DSC_1933.JPG

DSC_1936.JPG

DSC_1940.JPG

DSC_1943.JPG

DSC_1950.JPG

DSC_1953.JPG

DSC_1954.JPG

DSC_1955.JPG

DSC_1956.JPG

DSC_1958.JPG

DSC_1970.JPG

Last edited:

HughieD

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Good report. Having just come back from Thailand had noticed there were no posts from there so nice to see this. Going to be posting a few places from the north of Thailand shortly.

tatsol

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Good report. Having just come back from Thailand had noticed there were no posts from there so nice to see this. Going to be posting a few places from the north of Thailand shortly.
Thanks. I have postponed posting this for quite a fair while now!

Ahh great! Such a beautiful country. Did you spend much time there? Would be interested to see, how do I follow you for new posts?

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Some stunning views here. Nice big explore. Bangkok has loads to offer. But why is there caged cats in a derelict building?

tatsol

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Some stunning views here. Nice big explore. Bangkok has loads to offer. But why is there caged cats in a derelict building?
I have no idea why there were cats there :( It was located in the disused car park opposite. I'd hope they were there temporarily held there!

scamb66

28DL Member
28DL Member
Good write up tatsol. I was there earlier this week, everything was secured and there was not a soul around.
I was prepared to pay an "entry" fee but couldn't find anyone to even get access to the bottom floor.
Did ask the scooter taxi guys out the front but they acted dumb, oddly enough the amulet guy was still there and didn't think to ask him.
A little disappointing.

DSC_1496.JPG

DSC_1497.JPG
DSC_1498.JPG
DSC_1500.JPG
DSC_1499.JPG

tatsol

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Good write up tatsol. I was there earlier this week, everything was secured and there was not a soul around.
I was prepared to pay an "entry" fee but couldn't find anyone to even get access to the bottom floor.
Did ask the scooter taxi guys out the front but they acted dumb, oddly enough the amulet guy was still there and didn't think to ask him.
A little disappointing.

I see the corrugated fencing, I can't remember if that was there before.

Although I do remember that there was a gap in the fence where you could slip under, a chicken wire style fence whatever it's called. That was near the side street opposite the car park but not as far down towards the entrance of the car park.

A shame there was no one around to get you access!