real time web analytics
Report - - Seaview Psychiatric Asylum - Hokitika - August 2014 | European and International Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Seaview Psychiatric Asylum - Hokitika - August 2014

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

WildBoyz

Is this the future?
28DL Full Member
Seaview Psychiatric Asylum is an abandoned former government owned hospital located in the north of Hokitika, on the west coast of New Zealand. The facility was founded in 1872 and while it seems unknown as to who originally served as the Superintendent records indicate that John Downey assumed the position in 1904, having been promoted from his former position as Head Attendant. His wife was also stationed at the hospital, having accepted the role as the Matron. As the facility expanded it adopted a 'villa-hospital design' which is comprised of many separate buildings across a significant expanse of land; approximately 150 acres in this instance. Subsequently, the hospital became Hokitika's main employer, although inmates were also employed to tend to the surrounding land and gardens. In all there were four principal buildings, providing seven dormitories with space for thirty-seven rooms, two dining rooms, toilets and washing facilities, and a padded cell; various industrial buildings, including a garage and coal store; a nursing school, including onsite accommodation for staff; a lighthouse which was used as an observation tower and a gaol with thirty cells. While the hospital housed only one hundred and thirty-eight males and thirty-seven females in 1905, it is rumoured that at its peak, in 1955, Seaview Asylum housed five hundred and forty-nine patients. Regardless, by the early 1990's a number of the units were closed, along with the nursing school and much of the onsite accommodation for members of staff. Further, by 1996 there were only one hundred patients left at the facility. At the point of closure, in 2009, numbers had fallen to a mere twenty-two. Little is known about the general conditions and styles of treatment offered to (or forced upon) patients as records have remained well hidden or guarded, although it is worth noting that Seaview did allow a small number of patients out on probation from time to time. A number of critics have argued that it is unusual that Seaview Asylum has no record of any wrongdoing, misconduct or immoral abuse. On the contrary, the only record that does exist is a commendation suggesting that out of the eight asylums across New Zealand Seaview was worthy of praise. The only sign of 'bad blood' associated with the area can be directed towards the prison which existed at the site, prior to the establishment of the hospital, where a Maori gang were tried, executed and buried in unmarked graves in the cemetery located in the nearby vicinity.

Our little expedition to visit Seaview Psychiatric Asylum is a little bizzare as we'd decided, for some reason or another, to travel across much of New Zealand - over snowy mountains, through foggy valleys, and down tight winding roads - to reach it! We finally arrived in Hokitika in the very early hours of the morning and encroached upon what appeared to be an entirely abandoned town, for there were no people, no cars on the roads, or even cars parked by the sides of the roads... We drove around in circles for a short while, as any bewildered visitor would, until a lonely town security guard clocked us and decided to pursue; certainly, because there are no people, and with generally nothing else to do, it's very plausible that it seemed like an opportunity for a wild night in Hokitika. So there we were, being pursued at 5mph by security in the dead of night. Eventually, though, we managed to evade what could have been a very chancy situation and, deciding that there was a better social scene outside of town, we made for the hills. After a bit more driving we arrived at the driveway of Seaview Asylum which winds steadily up a small road towards an incredibly dark cemetery. Beyond that, we reached the first few street-lamps which cast out a dim yellow light over the cracked tarmac of the road, illuminating the various bits of rubble and tangled weeds poking up between the gaps. As we continued onward, following the few working street-lamps, we reached those that no longer offered any light, forcing us to continue down the broken road in darkness; sketchy, considering the size of the pot holes. After a short while, faint silhouettes of buildings emerged and at that point we realised that we'd most likely stumbled across Seaview Psychiatric Asylum, nicely tucked away in the most uncanny of settings. We returned the next day and had a good old explore in a number of the decaying buildings which revealed a number of intriguing objects. Overall, I'd say it was well worth a visit!

1: Seaview Psychiatric Asylum - The HUIA Building

DSC_0752a_zps45f6a5cc.jpg

2: Seaview Psychiatric Asylum Buildings

DSC_0754a_zps8887dc53.jpg

3: 10km/h Road Sign

DSC_0871_zps1bf0e39f.jpg

4: The Forgotten Picture

DSC_0781a_zps382bd21d.jpg

5: Main Corridor of a Ward

DSC_0784a_zpsc87557a6.jpg

6: Inside a Ward (Beds Missing)

DSC_0789a_zps663854fa.jpg

7: Communal/Living Room

DSC_0799a_zps6b9599f5.jpg

8: Bedpan

DSC_0800a_zpsb3350d8b.jpg

9: A Ward with a Bed

DSC_0815_zps67492b7f.jpg

10: Dated Wheelchair

DSC_0821a_zps4b0942e9.jpg

11: The Stool with a Step

DSC_0830a_zps628a2cd2.jpg

12: Bed Shot from Behind a Wheelchair

DSC_0831a_zpsc3b829af.jpg

13: Wet Room

DSC_0837_zps621a86ab.jpg

14: Bathroom

DSC_0839_zps39e6fd36.jpg

15: A Ward (Again Without the Beds)

DSC_0853a_zps914ffaba.jpg

16: A Second Communal Space

DSC_0855a_zps9c04217b.jpg

17: Communal Bathtubs

DSC_0880a_zpsfeecc419.jpg

18: No Admittance - Staff Only!

DSC_0886_zps24486f53.jpg

19: Decaying Typewriter

DSC_0890a_zps91dbdf55.jpg

20: The Remnants of the Gym

DSC_0895a_zpsdee370d5.jpg

21: The Remains of a Radio

DSC_0908_zps25046231.jpg

22: Working Piano

DSC_0919a_zpsef5957df.jpg

23: The Neglected Teddy Bear

DSC_0924a_zps9940449e.jpg

24: Inside the Garage/Workshop

DSC_0950a_zpsdad488eb.jpg

25: Repco Computer Wheel Balancer

DSC_0967a_zpsc27b4f0f.jpg

26: The Leftover Car

DSC_0993_zps9f650b4e.jpg

27: A Large Barrel Device

DSC_0003a_zps54f45a50.jpg

Last edited:

ACID- REFLUX

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Nice ones mate :thumb

That"s one impressive Butterchurn :eek:

You"re certainly keeping yourself very busy.....you"ll need a Holiday when you get back :D

WildBoyz

Is this the future?
28DL Full Member
Cheers for the feedback folks :) It reminds me of something out of 'One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest' this one - Just a more eery version ;)

The_Raw

Staff member
Love it, great seeing an asylum in a far away continent and brilliant write up :thumb

Boomstick84

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Must have missed this when you first posted it!

Great stuff as always, looks an awesome place and nice report. :thumb

Apologies mate, think I accidentally "thumbs downed" you by mistake (bloody fat fingers on my phone! :banghead) but gave you a double thumbs up so hopefully that's rectified it!? My bad mate! :banghead

WildBoyz

Is this the future?
28DL Full Member
Must have missed this when you first posted it!

Great stuff as always, looks an awesome place and nice report. :thumb

Apologies mate, think I accidentally "thumbs downed" you by mistake (bloody fat fingers on my phone! :banghead) but gave you a double thumbs up so hopefully that's rectified it!? My bad mate! :banghead

Nah it's all good mate, no thumbs down as far as I can see. Cheers for your thumb up though lol :)

ASOM

One-Man Urbex Art Army
28DL Full Member
Brilliant! Looks like a nice little time capsule indeed.
And to think I always get people from New Zealand on my page moaning that there's nothing at all like that there....

WildBoyz

Is this the future?
28DL Full Member
Brilliant! Looks like a nice little time capsule indeed.
And to think I always get people from New Zealand on my page moaning that there's nothing at all like that there....

Definitely plenty to be done over here :) :thumb