real time web analytics
Report - - Selbourne Brickworks, Hampshire. September 2021 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Selbourne Brickworks, Hampshire. September 2021

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

RXQueen

T-Rex Urbex
28DL Full Member
Visited with Ella.

As we were in the area we thought we would pop in here for a look around. We arrived to a bunch of explorers leaving via the big wall but we found an easier entry that didn’t involve climbing. I like machines, they’re very photogenic, so had a good time wandering round taking photos. There was another two people in there filming so we kept to ourselves.

As we were exploring one of the offices we heard a bit of a commotion and the word “dog”. Bracing ourselves for Land Sharks a soppy spaniel came through the doorway.

We did consider hiding but the dog found us and wanted to be our friend. We did wonder if the dog h just found its way in but another joined it. Followed by a rather grumpy man who asked if we realised we were trespassing. It did occur to me to ask him the same but I thought I should remain polite. He was fed up with vandalism and told us to leave the way we came in. His older dog didn’t want to go with him and was being stubborn whilst he shouted at the poor thing. At one point I thought he was going to hit the dog with its lead, good job he didn’t because I would have unleashed the unhappy RXQueen.

No idea where he vanished to but we left the same way we came in grabbing more pics as we went.

Apologies if the pics are slightly frowned upon edit wise, I forgot to post before editing.

History -

The Brickworks’ Area extends to 11.6 hectares. The existing land use is agriculture. Bricks have been made on the site since Roman times. The Selborne Range of traditional, handmade bricks have been made since 1872. The locally quarried clay is gault clay, some 60 million years old. The site is allocated in Policy 22 (Brick-making clay) of the Hampshire Minerals & Waste Plan. Clay extraction to support brick making at Selborne Brickworks was originally permitted with planning conditions that the land be reinstated with inert fill material and restored to agriculture afterwards.

A succession of companies, in the directorship of one local family, has run the Brickworks in recent decades, apart from a relatively short period, from 1995- 1998, when the Brickworks was run by Michelmersh. However, the Brickworks is not currently operational. The most recent company to own it is now in receivership. The planning permission for the extraction of clay lapsed in 2010. It is not known if brick-making is to begin again.

In 2012, permission was granted for the construction of an anaerobic digester on the site to enable the production of sufficient biomethane to supply all the energy that the Brickworks might require for its operations. The methane gas is to go direct to the National Grid from which the Brickworks would draw the energy it requires, obviating any need to store gas on site. The permission includes lagoons, a feedstock handling building and a gas-conditioning unit on the existing brickworks site and on the adjacent land. All vehicle movements associated with the operation of the AD plant are required to use an access haul road across Chapel Farm from Oakhanger Lane.

Chalkie31

Urbex Addict
28DL Full Member
You captured it a lot better than I did. The smell of oil there was nuts if I remember rightly. Was enough stock left to build a small village. Nicely done :thumb

Samus

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
These are stunning, this is definitely on my list, I really need to learn to drive, I am living vicariously through you all right now lol

labrat

28DL Member
28DL Member
Great to see again
Did this a while back, and seen that the tricycle is still being moved about.
Are the 2 cars still there that was very badly damaged.

Must see if we can get another visit in before it gets to badly vandalised

RXQueen

T-Rex Urbex
28DL Full Member
Great to see again
Did this a while back, and seen that the tricycle is still being moved about.
Are the 2 cars still there that was very badly damaged.

Must see if we can get another visit in before it gets to badly vandalised
Didn’t see any cars but our visit got cut short coz the neighbour caught us

Who has read this thread (Total: 222) View details