real time web analytics
Report - - Sheffield Courthouse - November 2011 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Sheffield Courthouse - November 2011

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

m9

big in japan
Regular User
with tweek and then later with Happyshopper and Ghost

court1.jpg

The old Sheffield town hall was built in 1807-8 and was designed to replace the previous Sheffield Town hall that had served Sheffield since the early 1700's. It was extended in 1833 and again 1866, linking the court rooms via underground passage ways to the adjacent police station and adding the prominent clock tower and new main entrance. In the mid 1890s, the council moved to a newer, grander home at the now current Sheffield Town Hall, with the old building being converted into the Crown and High Court. The courts moved again in the 1990's to a boring concrete block behind the Old Courthouse, which now lies empty and sits on the Victorian Societies top-ten buildings at risk list.

Track back a few weeks and court was most definitely in session for any explorer who was in and around Sheffield at the time. Things like this don't pop up that often, and I have to say I was pretty impressed when I first had a nosey round. First trip in with tweek in the early hours went pretty smoothly, narrowly beating the traffic warden back to my car after dawdling to get some last minute externals. This parking fail meant I wasn't done with the place, and so I headed back later with HappyShopper and Ghost who were making their way round Shef on a bit of a Northern Roadtrip.

court2.jpg

court3.jpg

court4.jpg

court5.jpg

court6.jpg

court7.jpg

court8.jpg

court11.jpg
court13.jpg

court9.jpg

court10.jpg

court12.jpg