real time web analytics
Report - - Sheffield Ski Village, January 2016 | Leisure Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Sheffield Ski Village, January 2016

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

SonNoir

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Hooray, my first report!

SSV seems to be a very popular destination on this forum so I won't bore you with the history.

I visited with my girlfriend right at the start of this month. What struck me most was how popular it seemed to be – kids riding bikes, families taking strolls. I wasn't the only shutterbug out on the slopes that day, either – in fact, getting good shots was an exercise in patience, there was so much human traffic to dodge.

My girlfriend is a Sheffielder with fond memories of the place. She made the distinction between the four types of slope. You've got the beginner/training slope, the miniature one still with remnants of the old ski lift. Then the casual/family slope, the simple looking slope down the middle. The advanced slope is the one that includes the half-pipe and jumps, and finally the toboggan slope – which we found well enough, but for the fact it was completely overgrown and not terribly photogenic.

Worth going to. More of a dog-walking spot than an explore. You will get cold and muddy, be warned.

sheffield-ski-village-sign-view-over-sheffield.jpg

Welcome to the Ki Village.

sheffield-ski-village-both-slopes.jpg

View from the front gate, showing the toboggan track (left, among the overgrowth), family slope (centre) and advanced/trick slope (right).

sheffield-ski-village-ski-lift-beginner-slope.jpg

The kiddies' slope, with the button lift mechanisms still in place.

sheffield-ski-village-half-pipe-from-above.jpg

sheffield-ski-village-half-pipe-gutted-by-fire.jpg

Two views of the former half pipe, showing the extent of the fire damage.

sheffield-ski-village-bridge-detail.jpg

At the top of the main slope is this bridge, but for the life of me I couldn't figure out what it would have been used for. Maintenance vehicles/emergency services?

sheffield-ski-village-main-slope-fire-damage.jpg

Burnt tracks at the summit of the advanced slope. Very hard to walk on. The metal is still crispy and some of it crumbled underfoot.

sheffield-ski-village-broken-bridge-detail.jpg

This bridge was a part of the ski-lift for the family slope.

sheffield-ski-village-overgrown-toboggan-track.jpg

Spot the toboggan slope (it's the one on the right). Weirdly, the bridge you can see in the middle of the picture was only about 3 feet off the ground. If you weren't lying down in your toboggan going past it, it would have cracked you right in the nose.

sheffield-ski-village-busted-jump.jpg

"Do a flip."

sheffield-ski-village-ski-slope-abandoned.jpg

A nice photo opportunity on the way out. Walking up this hill was a bitch. I did it twice, had no intention of trying it a third time.

Xan_Asmodi

Cave Monster
28DL Full Member
Wow! That place is absolutely fucked now. I kinda wish I had've had a look before the local pyromaniac(s) got to it.