real time web analytics
Report - - Sherburn Hill Community Centre, Sherburn Hill - February 2016 | Leisure Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Sherburn Hill Community Centre, Sherburn Hill - February 2016

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

WildBoyz

Is this the future?
28DL Full Member
History

“It’s right that the County Council closes the centre if it’s a risk because it’s not acceptable to have leisure activities in a building which is unsafe… I will be working with all those involved to see what can be done” (Carol Woods, Sherburn Liberal Democrat councillor).

Sherburn Hill Community Centre is located in the small village of Sherburn Hill in North East England, which has a population of approximately 1,300 people. The village was established sometime in the early 1800s to house local miners and their families in the area. The Community Centre was constructed during the 1920s, as the ‘Miner’s Welfare Hall’, and was built using subscriptions from miners’ wages. From 1976 to 2012, the Miner’s Walfare Hall was converted into a local community centre.

Following a health and safety inspection, sometime in 2012, the centre was quickly closed due to concerns surrounding the building’s structural integrity and the presence of asbestos. Although the closure was described as temporary, the centre still remains closed to this day. Subsequently, since the building has been abandoned for such a prolonged length of time, the site has become a scene of neglect and vandalism. While there were also plans to build a new community centre, at a cost of £1.2 million back in 2008, all proposals were halted after nation-wide problems were encountered in the housing market in that same year. As things stand, Durham County Council has committed £400,000 through the Durham Villages Regeneration Company, and many people remain hopeful that the will secure funding through Lottery support. Without a community centre, Kath Pouton, the Hub Chair (the temporary replacement for the old meeting place) argues that “there’s nothing for the residents here. Nothing at all… We’ve got one shop and you can get a haircut. We need somewhere to get together, for kids and adults”.

Our Version of Events

It was a cold, rainy, day as we drove over the top of Sherburn Hill. It was especially comfortable in the car, but after recognising the aging community centre from photographs we’d researched prior to our visit, we decided to pull over and brave the elements to have a closer look. At first glances the site looked as though it was well secured. However, as we walked around the building, where there was a tremendous amount of sheep shit, it became obvious that it wasn’t quite as secure as it seemed, so we were able to weigh up our access options.

Crawling out from underneath the stage, we soon found ourselves inside the main building itself. Apart from the patter of rain coming through the roof, there was a dead silence. Such is the nature of country life. After taking our first glances around the room, which appeared to be some sort of communal hall, it became quite obvious that the place was, as they say in French, fucked. Several sections of the roof have caved in, warped floorboard have made the floor uneven, and there were odds and ends everywhere.

As we walked to the front of the building things suddenly felt a bit dryer; a bit cosier – though, in some sections the floor were completely missing. Just about done with the ground floor, we ventured upstairs. It was then, just on the left, we had our first glimpse of an old wooden snooker table. As we entered the room, which was relatively dry compared to the rest of the building, we noticed that the snooker table also had a twin. Each of them looked a bit mouldy, which wasn’t surprising given the state of the building, but finding them here was certainly unexpected. We spent a bit more time up there, taking a few shots. Once the novelty wore off we wandered around for a bit longer, finding the usual things you expect to come across in a building of this kind: a toilet, empty rooms and the kitchen. The kitchen was a bit of a state, but there was still a bit of coffee leftover, and plenty of mugs available to make a quick brew. Overall, then, the place is a shithole; which is a real shame given its history, and if it doesn’t get knocked down or regenerated soon, it will, in all likelihood, fall down.

Explored with Ford Mayhem.

1: Sherburn Hill Community Centre

aDSC_0332_zpsrlkjxscq.jpg

2: The Front Door

aDSC_0331_zpsi6hdvyf1.jpg

3: The Main Hall and Stage Area

aDSC_0326_zpsqkp2i5yx.jpg

4: Example of the General State of the Rooms

aDSC_0318_zpsobvqgie9.jpg

5: The Kitchen

aDSC_0320_zpszx5oti9f.jpg

6: Time for Coffee

aDSC_0325_zps9rctmfhd.jpg

7: Staircase Shot

aDSC_0316_zpshastsrig.jpg

8: The Top Landing

aDSC_0314_zpsun7fpnmn.jpg

9: Heading into the Snooker Room

aDSC_0310_zpsnth3ii5f.jpg

10: Time for a Quick Game

aDSC_0282_zpslizmtyhw.jpg

11: No Smoking Over the Tables

aDSC_0274-3_zpspgbuhpq4.jpg

12: Pocket Shot

aDSC_0293_zpsoayz65ft.jpg

13: Table and Cue

aDSC_0279-2_zpsxid1kyzv.jpg

14: Balls... No Balls!

aDSC_0285_zpsvun7hils.jpg

15: Vintage

aDSC_0303-2_zpsw8cdq6gn.jpg

16: Keys to the Place

aDSC_0308_zpsgex2h6bl.jpg

17: Time to Leave

aDSC_0323_zpsuwhuq54n.jpg

BrainL

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Nice report as always mate, shame how snooker tables always get left behind, presume they are really tough to move :)

WildBoyz

Is this the future?
28DL Full Member
Nice report as always mate, shame how snooker tables always get left behind, presume they are really tough to move :)

Cheers mate. Haha, yeah. I'm assuming they couldn't get them out of the doors and down the stairs.

Krypton

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I used to work next to this, didn't even know it was shut down lol. Nice pics, I'm gonna get my arse over to have a look :)

WildBoyz

Is this the future?
28DL Full Member
I used to work next to this, didn't even know it was shut down lol. Nice pics, I'm gonna get my arse over to have a look :)

Haha, that's always the way, sometimes we miss the things that are right on our doorstep.

Ben groark

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Hi! As a person who has many times been into the community centre, I wanted to ask you something and also tell you a tale. Me and my 2 friends were in the cc today, we only stayed in for a little. When my dad came to pick me up, he said he was speaking to one of the men who used to go there, he said there was a cellar, filled or used to be with musical instruments, if you saw anything even remotly close I would like to know, also on the last photo, can you please locate that? Thanks, ben.

WildBoyz

Is this the future?
28DL Full Member
Hi! As a person who has many times been into the community centre, I wanted to ask you something and also tell you a tale. Me and my 2 friends were in the cc today, we only stayed in for a little. When my dad came to pick me up, he said he was speaking to one of the men who used to go there, he said there was a cellar, filled or used to be with musical instruments, if you saw anything even remotly close I would like to know, also on the last photo, can you please locate that? Thanks, ben.

Hi Ben. No, the cellar no longer has any instruments in it, if it ever did. You want to know where the McDonald's giraffe is?

dave

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Just had a look at this place your right its well fooked, mind looking at your pics i noticed a ladder which i didnt see on my recent visit had i seen it could have had a look in the loft space, somehow i dont think i'll be going back.

WildBoyz

Is this the future?
28DL Full Member
Just had a look at this place your right its well fooked, mind looking at your pics i noticed a ladder which i didnt see on my recent visit had i seen it could have had a look in the loft space, somehow i dont think i'll be going back.

Haha. The pool tables were cool, but the rest is a bit shit. Are the tables still there? I can't imagine there is much in the loft space, other than pigeons :D