real time web analytics
Report - - Shing Mun Reservoir Dam & Overflow, Hong Kong- Oct 2011 | European and International Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Shing Mun Reservoir Dam & Overflow, Hong Kong- Oct 2011

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Colonialist

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
A little history courtesy of wiki:

"In 1933 the Shing Mun Reservoir was built to meet the increasing demand for fresh water due to the urbanisation of Kowloon. The reservoir was completed in 1936. It was once named Jubilee Reservoir (銀禧水塘) to celebrate Silver Jubilee (1935) of King George V of the United Kingdom.
The local inhabitants were resettled in other parts of the New Territories, and now some of the old villages are submerged. The remains of other villages and houses can be seen in the woods on the side of the reservoir. The remains of Gin Drinkers Line on the nearby hills show the defences of British force against Japanese invasion during World War II."

It's a fine piece of colonial engineering if ever there was one with much of it including the below memorial now a declared monument.

SM1.jpg

Over flow & Valve Tower
SM2.jpg

SM3.jpg

Pics were taken over a couple of visits, with and without the bike -for an experimental spin down the overflow tunnel.
SM4.jpg

Overflow tunnel is about 300metres long, must be close to 45degrees nearer the top. Wet & slippery I dumped the bike halfway and resorted to hands & knees for the last bit..​
SM6.jpg

SM7.jpg

This would of been fun had I remembered my headlamp!
SM8.jpg

SM9.jpg