real time web analytics
Report - - Silverlands Orphanage, Chertsey - December 2014 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Silverlands Orphanage, Chertsey - December 2014

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Idavoll

Who?
28DL Full Member
Silverlands has always appealed to me because after all, who doesn't like a good staircase?

This was part of a large London group visit, which was a first for me as I'm used to solo exploring or just a few others. It was a great experience and I was rather surprised that the lights are fully functional. When I went the site was a walk in, the security cameras were on but nobody was home. Since going there in early Dec I believe Security was stepped up around Christmas, this was due to a meetup openly being planned for there and people who visited were greeted by the Police. However like most things, it wouldn't surprise me if it's now gone back to being empty.

History

The exact date Silverlands was built is unknown, however it is thought to be between 1818-1825, the first owner being Vice-Admiral the Rt. Hon Sir Frederick Hotham. Silverlands was used as the Hotham family home until approximately 1887. The Actors Orphanage was started in 1896 and was both a home and school to approx 60 children. The home and school was moved to Silverlands, Chertsey in 1938.

In 1941 it became a female nurse’s school for the nearby Botley Park Asylum and St Peter’s Hospital. This ran alongside the buildings use by the Actors Orphanage, until 1958 when the Orphanage Ceased to exist. In 1990 Silverlands Nursing School amalgamated with other schools of nursing in Surrey and Hampshire to become the Francis Harrison College of nursing and midwifery.

Since closing there has been many plans for the site none of which have come to pass and so as such Silverlands now stands empty.

DSC04057a_zpsa34994a9.jpg

DSC04065a_zpse4fc37a0.jpg

DSC04066a_zps369ea548.jpg

Peek-a-boo. The downside of exploring with a large group is that there's always someone to photobomb you!!

DSC04075a_zps482df18c.jpg

DSC04077a_zps755b4785.jpg

DSC04087a_zps9f71c7fc.jpg

DSC04097a_zps4bf2f60e.jpg

DSC04092a_zps86d5e89e.jpg

DSC04047a_zpsdbc87eed.jpg

DSC04045a_zps465db16d.jpg

DSC04041a_zps1f9f9a38.jpg

DSC04060a_zps183929c9.jpg

Lenston

Bajo Tierra
Regular User
Nice to see an pic of the lift as most people miss that..

Last edited:

Idavoll

Who?
28DL Full Member
I was notorious for my accidental photobombing in Chernobyl so I won't complain when people accidently get in my shots. :)

Jinx

28DL Member
28DL Member
Beautiful woodwork, such a shame to see the leaking doing it's inevitable damage. You'd think they'd at least keep the roof properly on these places. The lift is great - was it operable (you said the lights were on, so I'm curious)..?

Great pics - thanks!

Pammyj

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
This place is stunning, those stairs are to die for. Love these pics.

Jack430T

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Ahh these were the days before the goontube and their big ol tour bus came along.

The Explorer Returns

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
The place is fucked now, if they don’t hurry up with saving that staircase ect there won’t be much point, it’s all wet and mould is growing everywhere, some stupid twat hung on the staircase chandelier and pulled it out the ceiling..utter cunts