real time web analytics
Report - - Sizable - Walsall - April 2018 | UK Draining Forum | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Sizable - Walsall - April 2018

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

UrbanCaving

Sewer Rat
28DL Full Member
So myself and @Jobbyjo decided that we should visit a place I have been eyeing for some time. We were only going there to check out some pins in the hope of finding something a little bit less lack luster than Leicester has to offer. So after checking out some other pins, including some questionable ducking and diving of natures very own barbed wire and pretty darn tight infall and outfalls. We got to this one, saw the size of the 3m RCP behind the grill and decided it would be rather rude not to at least have a look inside this beast for it can only get bigger downstream.

We were unsure whilst exploring this one as to if it had been done before... after a few messages Silogen gets back to me to let me know that this was one of his from a good number of years back.

I as per usual got lazy with the camera so most of these where under exposed... the fact I even had it with me still astonishes me.

This starts out as a 3M RCP stuck behind a rather large grill structure...
(Measurements here could be way off, most concrete structures have the sizes printed, but these did not).
IMG_2115.jpg

IMG_2116.jpg

IMG_2118.jpg

IMG_2120.jpg

IMG_2121.jpg

IMG_2122.jpg

Eventually we hit a bit of a shape change into a concrete arch so I do question if there must be some large structure above it...
IMG_2126.jpg

IMG_2128.jpg

It was a fair trek from the infall to this junction, but this chamber is pretty darn big and impressive. the upstream 3M RCP that we where walking into intercepts 3 RCPs, 2 of those around 2M RCP and then a 750mm outfalling into a pretty fucking large 5M RCP... .
IMG_2130.jpg

IMG_2132.jpg

And it is the next photo where we turn back, not knowing at this point how far to the outfall we had to go and knowing the walk back would be against the flow, not having waders and the water in areas was creeping up to waist height, getting quite foggy and no gas meter, we will be back. The 5M RCP turning into twin 3M RCPs

IMG_2133.jpg

And a couple of shots of us for the sake of it. Thanks for the giggles Jo, brilliant explore.

IMG_2123.jpg

IMG_2124.jpg

Jobbyjo

UREBEXR
28DL Full Member
Was a good explore and I think this may be one of my favorite drains so far, of course the concrete gets a bit boring but the way it chops and changes shape, size, and the amazing chamber/junction, by far the best one I've been in! (But we dont do drains apparently lol)

Loving the photos, especially the ones with me *wink wink* Fisheye really does allow full viewing experience.

Don't do drains in wellies and bare legs for 5 hours: Results......
1524432320003.png

Ojay

Admin
Staff member
Admin
Was a good explore and I think this may be one of my favorite drains so far, of course the concrete gets a bit boring but the way it chops and changes shape, size, and the amazing chamber/junction, by far the best one I've been in! (But we dont do drains apparently lol)

Loving the photos, especially the ones with me *wink wink* Fisheye really does allow full viewing experience.

Don't do drains in wellies and bare legs for 5 hours: Results......
1524432320003.png

You love it ;)

pastybarm

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Bloody big pipes, and that junction is just amazing. Is it a combined sewer overflow as you mention it getting foggy near the end, or only a culvert or stormwater drain?

UrbanCaving

Sewer Rat
28DL Full Member
Bloody big pipes, and that junction is just amazing. Is it a combined sewer overflow as you mention it getting foggy near the end, or only a culvert or stormwater drain?
There was a little smell of fresh in the big chamber and some signs of a tiny amount of CSO flow but I dont know for sure at all.

TheVicar

Loyal to the Drain
Regular User
Those photos are spot on!
I've been meaning to see this on the occasions I pass that way but it has always been raining.
I seem to remember there being what may be a small underground reservoir or large CSO chamber just next to the outfall.
Not generally a fan of concrete but the size of this makes up for that.

Luke vaughan

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Hi guys I’ve researched a fair bit and couldn’t find this tunnel so could you please pm me as I live in Walsall thank you