real time web analytics
Report - - Smallcleugh Lead Mine Jan '08 | Mines and Quarries | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Smallcleugh Lead Mine Jan '08

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Northern Exposure

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Whilst in the area xm657 and myself spent a few hours in Smallcleugh Lead Mine, part of the Nenthead mines complex which is said to have approx 120 miles of underground tunnels, adits and chambers.

These mines have probably been in use by locals for centuries but mining on an industrial scale began in the 17th century and has had a colourful life with the mining leases changing hands several times over the years.

Mining ceased circa 1920, however the spoil heaps were worked until 1965.

Nenthead Mines Heritage Centre operate a sort of museum and do a tourist underground trip into one of the mines, however, the mine we ventured into is around 1.5 miles deep and is not part of the tourist route.

There are many shafts and sumps leading to lower levels but due to not having any SRT kit, we stayed on the main drift.

Entry point

DSC_0061.jpg

The water was around ankle depth but soon got a bit deeper

DSC_0059.jpg

DSC_0058.jpg

DSC_0057.jpg

My favourite shot of the day, the first shaft is marked so you know what they look like. 20m down is a big fall in this environment.

DSC_0056.jpg

One of the open shafts

DSC_0049.jpg

The minerals here were smooth and glassy to the touch

DSC_0050.jpg

DSC_0051.jpg

Some of the tunnels along the route. The construction changes to suit the rock and shale strata

DSC_0035.jpg

DSC_0041.jpg

DSC_0043.jpg

DSC_0044.jpg

xm crossing a void using the old rails

DSC_0040.jpg

Another shaft with a ventilation tunnel joining the second drift.

DSC_0038.jpg

This chamber has been mined out and lined with stone to retain the rock. I think the rusted item on the plinth is some sort of winding gear as there is a shaft directly behind and this would be used to transfer between the levels

DSC_0052.jpg

DSC_0053.jpg

DSC_0055.jpg

We only managed the 'right-hand' drift but will certainly be back to see the other side and also get to the lower levels.