real time web analytics
Report - - Soda Ash Works (Snow Factory) May-15 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Soda Ash Works (Snow Factory) May-15

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

FatPanda

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
WoooooW this place really is one of beauty and one of my fav industrial locations to date
looked like something off the bbc's Frozen planet.
Had a great explore with Razstafarian and a none member

The History of Soda Ash Works

Founded by a couple of chaps named John Brunner and Ludwig Mond in 1973 they began producing soda ash about a year later. They used brine solution, ammonia and limestone to produce sodium carbonate in pure form. I understand that at its peak the factory produced 200,000 tons of soda ash a year meaning that the Brunner Mond company became the largest producer of the product in the country and the worlds largest alkali exporter. Wallerscote island Works was completed in 1926. the construction consists of silos and huge metal sheds although all were integral parts of the original structure. The company later became part of ICI which is now owned by Tata. Sodium Carbonate is a widely used in industry for casting and glassmaking. It is commonly used in chemistry as a base and an electrolyte. It is also used domestically in detergents, dyes and toothpaste as well as tasty sherbet sweets!
http://www.proj3ctm4yh3m.com/urbex/2013/10/14/urbex-soda-ash-works-wallerscote-island-august-2013/

ENJOY

DSC02080_zps6ryxq7bk.jpg

DSC01869_zps9fegfvod.jpg

DSC01861_zps5rshc2sv.jpg

DSC01852_zpsh6lnbxja.jpg

DSC01842_zpstxti4bpv.jpg

DSC01820_zpsfbqriyu0.jpg

DSC01829_zpsjty09pyp.jpg

DSC02054_zpstkz3jvyr.jpg

DSC02033_zpsstlznfu2.jpg

DSC02026_zps6aamq5ci.jpg

DSC01990_zpsl8kfhe3v.jpg

DSC01953_zpsitnpxuht.jpg

DSC01930_zpslcwufc8n.jpg

DSC01899_zpsznr84ja8.jpg

DSC01881_zpsilumbfh9.jpg

slayaaaa

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
We don't really like HDR on this forum, just doesn't show a place for what it is, just kinda (in some people's opinion) look crap. Your shots look 10x better without it man! Nice one for getting in and seeing the place, It's a nice wander.

Last edited:

ACID- REFLUX

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Nice report mate :thumb& looks a wicked place.

Carrying on from what"s been said & I will be diplomatic for once :eek: Can i just say according to the forum Rules what you can post PP wise on 28 is slightly different to what"s acceptable on OS as you know, it"s normally mild PP. No surreal Photomatix etc PP or muti-bracketed shots with PP

We can all slide the sliders but as you know the rules are different on here compared to the other Forums to prevent it getting out of control especially from those that can"t use a camera properly (obviously not you) and decide to burn peoples eyes out instead :eek: that"s what 28DL Facebooks for ;)

Anybodies personal views as to the quality etc matters not as the Forum brief states otherwise.....rightly or wrongly ? & it"s in the hands of the MODs if anything happens.

Personally i like them, but when viewed alongside Raz"s they certainly stand out, maybe for the wrong reasons unfortunately .

Punk

Punkus Explorus
28DL Full Member
Nice place, but I have to agree with others, the HDR have spoilt your images

Paradox

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Really interesting place, Im not going to say you have spoiled your pics, I think the content is good I'm just not so keen on the finish, it is however each to their own. ;)

The_Raw

Staff member
It also states in the rules that your pictures should make someone want to go to a place (like a tourist? :confused: ) and these definitely make me wanna go there. I think they're ace mate, looks a proper gem this place :thumb

Pest

Read comics and sleep all day, = no worries
28DL Full Member
The building in the first photo reminds me of my city's old Grain Elevator; which was sadly imploded last month.

Who has read this thread (Total: 2) View details