real time web analytics
Question - - Softening torch light | Photography and Video Forum | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Question - Softening torch light

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

zombizza

Sore Knee
Regular User
Hi
Just wondered what people do to soften their torch spotlight.
My pics have a horrendous big circle of light appearance. I guess there are some ways (probably obvious) to diffuse the edges out a bit. I'm yet to get a good shot in total darkness. (my torch is a cree thingy by the way)
cheers

zombizza

Sore Knee
Regular User
ok, i spose thats an option. I always find that upsets the shadows a lot though. ie as you move it around the shadows will shift, and so you dont get clear cut shadows, if that makes sense. And then if you spend a bit more time shining in a couple of areas, you get double shadow effect.I might try making some sort of diffuser to put on the torch. Just to soften it a bit.

Oxygen Thief

Admin
Staff member
Admin
I always try and allow an extra 5 seconds of no light to bring the shadows back in, nice and soft they'll be as well.

zombizza

Sore Knee
Regular User
ok, perhaps the best bet is for me to have a play in my bedroom ;) better than me leaving it til the heat of the moment in a great location
cheers for the tips

Oxygen Thief

Admin
Staff member
Admin
There's various things to try. You can light the ceiling above you on a longer exposure, or use the torch on low power. These will all make a difference of some description to the picture.

Who has read this thread (Total: 3) View details