real time web analytics
Report - - SOHO SQUARE AIR RAID SHELTER-LONDON-APRIL 2015 | Underground Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - SOHO SQUARE AIR RAID SHELTER-LONDON-APRIL 2015

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

soylent green

28DL Regular User
Regular User
This year up until this site, i hadn't managed to do a single report, but like the proverbial London buses, when it came, it came in threes. This was going to be a good night for me, doing stuff an old boy like me shouldn't be doing. First i met up with some real explorers in the shape of FB , BHG and Kev. First stop was an exploring ambition of mine fulfilled. Next it was off to Southall to do my first Gas holder ( need to work on my fitness levels ). Then off home for a nap as i was a bit tired. When i got up i had BigBadAsh at my door ready to go back to London to do the Soho Square Air Raid shelter. Kev and BHG had been for a look a couple of days before and when we heard about it we had to check it out, as it is up for sale and wont be there in its present state for long
Iv'e been to Soho Square many times before and hadn't realized it had an Air Raid shelter under it, which made this a must see for me.
We entered the shelter and found it was not huge but bigger than expected, It's 32,000sq ft in size. It is comprised of four rooms and an emergency exit, which comes up into a mock Tudor building in the middle of the Gardens. There wasn't a great deal of stuff to see but it was a cool place to visit and glad we got to see it before its turned into something else.
So three sites in one day in the company of four great people. Massive thanks to Kev and BHG for letting me tag along and FB for his company at Southall:) and BBA at Soho

History
Couldn't find much history on this one, only that it was built in 1939 under the Gardens in Soho Square. Its now up for sale with an asking price of £175,000
The shelter was one of dozens hastily built across central London after the outbreak of war in 1939. Leslie Hardcastle, president of the Soho Society, said he recalls spending the night in the shelter several times during the war.

He said: ”It was lined with about 12 inches of brick and had concrete as a roof. It could take about 150 to 200 people initially although that became less when they put tiers of bunks in. The only facility was a toilet and it could get quite smelly with all the people down there.”

Pics
Entrance inside the gardens

soho%20sq1_zpsu0jmclph.jpg
[/URL]

soho%20sq_zpsksfsvema.jpg

Emergency exit is inside this building
soho%20sq2_zpswyr2jck8.jpg

How it looked during the war
Fullscreen%20capture%2028042015%20195248_zpsuoflpyhp.jpg

soho7_zpsjzrbuflq.jpg

Emergency staircase
soho%20s_zpsxlzyshti.jpg

soho1_zpsqd3ucb2s.jpg

soho4_zpswpbylbhl.jpg

soho5_zpswaenwhpk.jpg

Main entrance
soho6_zpsfn5uasxm.jpg

soho2_zpsmnxjvxeo.jpg

soho8_zpsq3fqjxxp.jpg

Thanks again Kev and BHG :)
THanks for looking

Wevsky

A Predisposed Tourist
Regular User
Looks worth a visit to me mate,nicely done..intrigued what your exploring ambition one was too ;)

extreme_ironing

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Never knew this was underneath the Square, cool. :) Can't say I've ever looked around the grounds properly! That black hatch would have piqued my curiosity if I had noticed it.

These small outbuildings in parks and gardens often hide interesting things it seems.. I've found two ventilation shafts for LU recently in buildings I just thought were storage for the groundskeepers.

slayaaaa

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Ah man, saw this on flickr recently and it was all over the news in January, looks nice! Cheers for posting.

kevin arnold

28DL Member
28DL Full Member
nice one, you got some good pictures of this place :thumb not the most epic location ever but it was interesting to see it as i've always known there was something under soho square but didn't know what exactly. up until recently google said the tudor hut was a vent for either the tube (which i didn't believe) or a substation. turns out it's a bunker. and the hut is not a vent shaft but emergency exit. and it's sealed anyway. so we all gained some new bits of knowledge about underground london ;)

bhg

In Search of Lost Time
Regular User
you managed to take some really good pictures of it! I like your write up too. as Kev previously said, maybe it's not an impressive place, but still something new and it also gives you an idea how many places in ldn are yet to be discovered..
and the night before - well maybe it was a bit of the push but I am glad that you enjoyed it!

Gabe

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I remember ripping a news article out the evening standard about this a few months back but never got round to looking at. Good effort, good to see it finally.

slayaaaa

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Did you meet the false widdow(?) at the top of the ladder? :p

17107357357_d7580908ee_b.jpg

Attachments

• 17107357357_d7580908ee_b.jpg
    17107357357_d7580908ee_b.jpg
    260.3 KB · Views: 26

soylent green

28DL Regular User
Regular User
No i didn't have the pleasure :). Didn't take you long to get down there:) . Maybe see you at Reading Festival watching Mastodon:)