real time web analytics
Report - - Soho Square WW2 Shelter - May 2015 | Underground Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Soho Square WW2 Shelter - May 2015

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Els

Obsessed with BS7671
Regular User
Really decent little site this, so far up my b.p. I had to fart it out. It was quite near to work so I cycled down on a Friday and spent about an hour poking about down here - what an ideal way to end a crap week at work. Pretty stripped out but deffo unusual.

Well done to BHG, SG and KA for bringing it to light.

There just isn't a lot of info about this place other than it's been on sale since Jan with GVA but I can't find a listing on their site so maybe it's been sold now.

During the Second World War of 1939-45, the cast iron railings around Soho Square were taken down for use in armament factories and extensive air raid bunkers were dug beneath the surface of the gardens to provide shelter to Londoners during the Blitz.

The shelters remain in place to this day, underlying much of the grass, flower beds and terraced areas that can be seen above ground.

The space on offer (above) is unchanged since the days of the war and its raw, dilapidated state will present a significant challenge to any vendors. But as a rare and original piece of London's history, its potential is clear, and it has already attracted interest from restaurant groups.

Here are a couple of pics, one of the emergency access and...

109827153_zpsizuxflto.jpg

...one from down below which must have been taken years back...judging by the white shirt prolly a survey or summit.

bun_zpse7aknh54.jpg

So welcome to Soho fucking square init bruv.
IMGP6432%20copy_zpskpmeh4oi.jpg

This is what you see when you get through the pain up the backside doors. The dwarf wall would suggest the floor had been raised at some point so I would venture it's use as a shelter was discontinued after the war.
IMGP6417%20copy_zpssd2oyblh.jpg

Rotate through 180 and here are the entrance doors.
IMGP6398%20copy_zpsl88pnidi.jpg

Up close and personal.
IMGP6397%20copy_zpswsbhpss3.jpg

A bit further in, the concrete plinths are sat level with the wall so I guess some kind of machinery sat on them, access being at false floor level.
IMGP6426%20copy_zpslpeiyvao.jpg

Further in signs of air con and a small hoist. I'm guessing some kind of generating station.
IMGP6421%20copy_zpsbg4ev3nl.jpg

The legendary lost ladder to the UE paradise.
IMGP6415%20copy_zpssexmcczx.jpg

Near the exit under the faux Tudor hut. Check the strange sort of zig-zag machine pit in the floor. WTF was that for? And what's with round thing? Some kind of anchor?
IMGP6423%20copy_zpsceb6omue.jpg

View looking back down the entire shelter from the emergency exit.
IMGP6409%20copy_zpsdmrl2iul.jpg

Pretentious prime lens bookie shot of a fucked lightbulb.
IMGP6408%20copy_zpstdhuzltp.jpg

Back in the "main" part of the shelter are these cable entry conduits, adding weight to my thoughts that place was something to do with the local lectric supply.
IMGP6403%20copy_zps7ywlo4ag.jpg

1950's vintage fuse box.
IMGP6405%20copy_zpsk7nexzs9.jpg

Then this little booth. Too small for an office, looks almost telephone box size? But why?
IMGP6404%20copy_zpss2nsxohz.jpg

Then this final parting shot and it's off home for a bit of scram and a pint.
IMGP6420%20copy_zpskfrvdizt.jpg

coolboyslim

Mr Reality Hacker
28DL Full Member
Very cool. Looks bloody good and has above said intresting. Nice pics good report thanks

Reactions: Els

soylent green

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Nice report Els. It certainly was a great find by Kev. I think what makes this one so interesting is its location. i'd been to that area on a number of occasions over the years and never realized what was beneath. Glad you got to see it:thumb