real time web analytics
Report - - Southery Pumping Station..Norfolk, May 2023 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Southery Pumping Station..Norfolk, May 2023

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Mikeymutt🐶

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Visited here with man gone wrong at the end of nice day exploring in the sun. This was the last visit and after a fair bit of walking that day this half hour walk seemed like an hour and a half walk, we are getting so old and unfit. Inside thought once we got there it made up for it all. We were greeted with a complete pumping house with all the machinery intact. The single cylinder Ruston engine was a beautiful example and in great condition. It was much bigger than expected when we saw it with our own eyes. The pumping station was used to drain the fields of water and pump it back into the river. A lot of these are dotted around the Norfolk/Cambridge border. They essentially do the same job as the old wind pumps dotted around the Norfolk broads. Got to give a big thanks to @V50jake and @dansgas1000 for finding this one. They have found quite a few of these things lately. Nice to see two younger explorers going out finding stuff themselves and posting them on the forum instead of the normal route.

The approach tonthe pump house shoes us the sluice gates.

IMG_5199.jpeg

The wooden cooling tower was quite interesting and really nice to see as not seen one before. The sign on top was lovely.

IMG_5200.jpeg

IMG_5201.jpeg

IMG_5202.jpeg

The building has a couple of side rooms.

IMG_5204.jpeg

IMG_5205.jpeg

IMG_5206.jpeg

IMG_5207.jpeg

A nice tortoise shell stove to keep the workers warm. It was manufactured by Smith & Wellstood of Bonnybridge, Scotland. Originally a manufacturer of iron parts for Singer sewing machines who were based in Clydebank. Singer started producing their own parts, so the company had to adapt and started making stoves.

IMG_5209.jpeg

A highfield gear box, made in Huddeersfield.

IMG_5210.jpeg

IMG_5211.jpeg

IMG_5212.jpeg

IMG_5213.jpeg

IMG_5214.jpeg

IMG_5215.jpeg

IMG_5216.jpeg

IMG_5217.jpeg

IMG_5218.jpeg

IMG_5219.jpeg

IMG_5220.jpeg

Name plate for the centrifugal pump. Made by Genesis limited who basically invented this style of pump.

IMG_5221.jpeg

IMG_5222.jpeg

IMG_5223.jpeg

IMG_5224.jpeg

IMG_5225.jpeg

Last edited:

Mikeymutt🐶

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Lovely stuff, that must have just been sitting there barely noticed for decades in the middle of nowhere before the lads came across it. Love that cooling tower with the sign
I know mate it's amazing really that something like this can lay untouched like this. The whole thing is a thing of beauty.

dansgas1000

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Absolutely fantastic set mate, I agree with @KPUrban_ the lighting can be a bit difficult to get right in there but you've done a grand job. Nice to know a bit more about the makes of the equipment. Thanks for the mention also, it was mine and Jakes best moment of 2023 when we looked through that window, as we did not expect it. Since that day we have found numerous pump houses across the UK to look at over time, and hopefully some will be good enough to post on here!

Mikeymutt🐶

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Absolutely fantastic set mate, I agree with @KPUrban_ the lighting can be a bit difficult to get right in there but you've done a grand job. Nice to know a bit more about the makes of the equipment. Thanks for the mention also, it was mine and Jakes best moment of 2023 when we looked through that window, as we did not expect it. Since that day we have found numerous pump houses across the UK to look at over time, and hopefully some will be good enough to post on here!
Thank you mate. The sun was glaring in. It worked for some but not other photos. You are welcome for the mention. You and Jake did well here, and can see why you had a wow moment. Yeah just keep pumping them on.

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Yep this is definitely a sexy little station. What a gorgeous little place. Another example of urban exploring at its best imho. Forgotten, untouched, and just beautiful.