real time web analytics
Report - - Southery Pumping Station, Norfolk : April 2023 | Industrial Sites | Page 2 | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Southery Pumping Station, Norfolk : April 2023

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

HughieD

28DL Regular User
Regular User
It did really surprise me. It was lovely to see all the bits left inside. Even had that lovely industrial greasy smell.
Sometimes these bijou explores can be just as satisfying as the big scale ones.

Got it pinned on on my list for future reference now.

Ironically was a 20-minute drive from here over Xmas up the road towards King's Lynn, but never knew about this little gem.

GPSS urbex

28DL Member
28DL Member
The tall wooden structure is an evaporative cooling tower for cooling the engine, same as you would get at power stations and huge air conditioning plants, just on a tiny scale. I'm not sure why it's an open evaporative loop system opposed to a closed car-radiator style system. Maybe that was common in the 1940's. Quite maintenance intensive as you have add chemicals constantly to stop legionnaire's growing.

JakeV50

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Sometimes these bijou explores can be just as satisfying as the big scale ones.

Got it pinned on on my list for future reference now.

Ironically was a 20-minute drive from here over Xmas up the road towards King's Lynn, but never knew about this little gem.
Oh definitely, I'd much rather do somewhere like this than any huge care home or school. Far less stressful and more photo opportunities in my opinion.
You were this way not too long back wernt you, done the little garage just outside King's Lynn? This one is worth a visit if you come back definitely.

JakeV50

28DL Regular User
Regular User
The tall wooden structure is an evaporative cooling tower for cooling the engine, same as you would get at power stations and huge air conditioning plants, just on a tiny scale. I'm not sure why it's an open evaporative loop system opposed to a closed car-radiator style system. Maybe that was common in the 1940's. Quite maintenance intensive as you have add chemicals constantly to stop legionnaire's growing.
Thats really interesting, thank you!
I've never seen one before! It was in surprisingly good condition also.

dansgas1000

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Beautiful shots! Hidden gem is an understatement. I remember when we laughed at going to it thinking it would be an empty room or demolished, and then when we looked in the window it was one of the best urbex moments ever I think. Hopefully, some of the others in the area that we've got pinned will be decent aswell. Great report.

JakeV50

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Beautiful shots! Hidden gem is an understatement. I remember when we laughed at going to it thinking it would be an empty room or demolished, and then when we looked in the window it was one of the best urbex moments ever I think. Hopefully, some of the others in the area that we've got pinned will be decent aswell. Great report.
Fantastic wasn't it!

mingerocket

28DL Regular User
Regular User
I've never seen such a small tower.
I doubt they'd have given much thought to legionella bacteria back then. The strain of bacteria that causes Legionaries disease wasn't discovered until the outbreak in 1976.

KPUrban_

Surprisingly Unsurprising
Regular User
Beauty that is, so many of these along the Ouse and across the Fenland.

Annoyingly I drive past this almost every couple of days and keep meaning to stop by.
Edit: I'm thinking of a different one.

Last edited:

Who has read this thread (Total: 145) View details