real time web analytics
Report - - Southery Pumping Station, Norfolk : April 2023 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Southery Pumping Station, Norfolk : April 2023

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

JakeV50

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Southery Pumping Station

While bored one evening, researching old pumps and mills as usual, I stumbled upon a possible pumping station situated in Southery, Norfolk. Being fairly local, me and @dansgas1000 decided to take a drive and see if it was still there. The reference I found to it was from 2004, so I wasn't holding up much hope of it still standing. I hadn't seen any photos of it, so really didn't know what to expect.

Once parked up, we had a 20-minute walk adjacent to the river down to it. On the walk we really were exposed to all elements of the weather, the sun was beaming initially, then a massive rain shower soaked us to the bone, and we even saw a small tornado flying across the open fields!

Much to my relief, once we got closer, it was still there. Peeking into one of the broken windows, we got very excited. Proper hidden gem. The main building is of brick construction with a tin roof, which surprisingly is in excellent condition, only one small section of roof had a hole in, letting the downpour in. There is a small tin outbuilding which didn't have much of interest inside. Around the side is a strange, very tall wooden structure with a ladder to the top, the metal sign on the side reads 'Premier Water Cooler'.

All the machinery inside is still in place. This includes the main centrepiece, a single cylinder Ruston 10HRE engine with a submersible pump. There are a few other smaller pieces of machinery dotted about, including a tiny static engine in the corner which appeared to be petrol powered. On the other end of the Ruston engine, is a small Gwynnes centrifugal pump, the large hand wheel next to it still turned surprisingly. I'm not too clued-up on what all the machinery does, so if you can help, please comment, as I'd be interested.

The Pumping Station dates to 1943, but there was a smaller, more rudimentary drainage pump on the site before this one was constructed. It was lovely to see a place like this still exists with no graffiti, and only mostly natural decay. Being so far from any major town probably helps this.

Very glad we managed to see this one, there are a few more local to this which I'm yet to check out, if they're anything like this one, I'll be very excited! This is quite photo heavy, I do apologize, I did get a bit excited....

IMG_8471.jpg

IMG_8558-HDR.jpg

IMG_8480.jpg

IMG_8603-HDR.jpg

IMG_8597-HDR.jpg

IMG_8567-HDR.jpg

IMG_8576-HDR.jpg

IMG_8534-HDR.jpg

IMG_8564.jpg

IMG_8516.jpg

IMG_8512.jpg

IMG_8507.jpg

IMG_8503.jpg

IMG_8491.jpg

IMG_8462.jpg

IMG_8455-HDR.jpg

IMG_8440-HDR.jpg

IMG_8404-HDR.jpg

IMG_8392-HDR.jpg

IMG_8386-HDR.jpg

IMG_8368-HDR.jpg

IMG_8365-HDR.jpg

IMG_8362-HDR.jpg

Mikeymutt🐶

28DL Regular User
Regular User
That’s is such a good find mate. Could not believe it when you showed me the pics and looking forward to seeing it. You and Dan are certainly getting the stuff done. Nice to see two young lads not following the usual route and staying true to forum postings. Hopefully it will reward you in the future.

urbanchemist

28DL Regular User
Regular User
That's a lovely one - there are actually quite a few of these little rural pumping places still around if you look, not usually as good as this though.

JakeV50

28DL Regular User
Regular User
That’s is such a good find mate. Could not believe it when you showed me the pics and looking forward to seeing it. You and Dan are certainly getting the stuff done. Nice to see two young lads not following the usual route and staying true to forum postings. Hopefully it will reward you in the future.
Thanks Mikey, I would've held off till you'd seen this one but I'm getting into doing reports again, fell out of love with it for a few months, but I'm enjoying it again!

JakeV50

28DL Regular User
Regular User
That's a lovely one - there are actually quite a few of these little rural pumping places still around if you look, not usually as good as this though.
It's beautiful. With Norfolk being so flat, there's plenty. Got loads lined up. If just one of them is as good as this, it'll be worth the effort of finding them. You'd love this one if you're ever nearby.

JakeV50

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Gorgeous little pump station that, great find!
That's lovely.
Pretty neat unsupsecting gem that! The colours of the pics work nicely
Its amazing what you find in the middle of nowhere. Excellent report.
Thats lovely. Great find
That really is a hidden gem. Good job finding it
That’s very nice! Never seen a premier cooler outside of a rotor before
Top drawer mate
Thank you all!

Who has read this thread (Total: 145) View details