real time web analytics
Report - - Spen Beck, and treatment works | UK Draining Forum | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Spen Beck, and treatment works

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

NuBoid

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
This is a continuation on the Spen river/beck theme that I've posted previously.
The beck runs along side two sites of interest, North Bierley WWTW (see earlier report) and Spen WWTW Both of these are now disused and act as automated pumping stations to pump the incoming fresh up to a transfer flow pipe heading for Mitchell Laithes at Dewsbury.
Although there is not so much underground work in this report I thought you'd all like a quick showround ...especially for .you seasoned 'freshmen' and women !!!!!!!
Jumped into the water near this lovely ancient bridge

A bit further on this little pipe spans across the beck

And now ladies and gents ......the moment we've all been waiting for ........

Looks nice this but its another crawl and its quite lengthy but hopefully there will be a pot of gold at the end.....or that's what I thought !!!!!!!!

Got to the end of this and no pot of gold awaits
After a fairly long crawl the brickwork ends in a small modern concrete chamber which is grilled overhead and starts again in RCP turning 90 deg to the right.
Well I've come this far so onwards and upwards
On and on and on went the RCP making turns to the left and right with small chambers grilled overhead.

Now here is the dilemma.......

At what point do you say "enough is enough" it was seemingly never ending and nearly turned back a few times.
Turns out after a quick google maps I'd crawled the full length of the site right up to the inlet works and found my self in an over-spill chamber. Looks like if there is too much flow from the inlet for the works it empties down here through a screen and into the beck.
Drawn a map which approximates my arduous crawl

This is the spillway chamber for the inlet which has a mechanical screen, Not much headroom here and a bit of a poor shot this but later I have a pic from above which is better

right then !!!!! big crawl home from whence I came in

Out of the pipework I then managed to get into the works at ground level to have a little sniff around. This is the inlet works and the grilled area on the right of this shot is where I got to.
Found myself thinking I might take a walk up the inlet but it looks quite dangerous and I'm on my lonesome so didn't bother

A few more of the works at ground level

Till next time ............

oh and another thing....the pic above shows the inside of the main building. There is a mezzanine floor under here which is lovely......all brick arches beautifully crafted and pipes everywhere...soon as I got down and looked around in awe, the torch failed.........FFS !!!!!!!! :banghead

jezzyboo

28DL Regular User
Regular User
good report well done crawling that pipe on your own always take a couple of spare torches :thumb

NuBoid

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
good report well done crawling that pipe on your own always take a couple of spare torches :thumb

Hi @jezzyboo
Normally have a raft of torches with me but I did this in 2 visits. On the second trip I went to do the buildings above ground and just needing one torch for the ten minutes it would take I thought I'd put the charged batteries in the big torch......err no ....put the spent ones in and off I went DOH !!!!!!!

chills

Queller of the uprising
Nice pictures of inside of that pipe, sure that wasn’t kind on the knees!