real time web analytics
Report - - Spen Excelsior Social Club, High Spen - July 2020 | Leisure Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Spen Excelsior Social Club, High Spen - July 2020

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

WExploreNorthEast

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
This is our first report for a while, as we’ve been side-tracked with other commitments. We have been exploring still, managing to get to ten or so places, however we haven’t had time to write them up. It feels good to back into writing up reports and we have some interesting explores we will be sharing in the next few days!

Social Club History

There isn’t much history available on the place, or not much I could find anyhow. What I find was that the roof dates back to 1913, along with a two-storey extension that is believed to have been built back in the 1970’s. The social club was taken to court back in 2013 by Gateshead Council, for selling alcohol to non-members. They were fined £1000 and £215 in costs.

The Explore

The social club is in plain sight, surrounded by houses and a main road, so it’s not the easiest place to get into without being spotted. Be careful how you get in as well, because if you try to go in the wrong way, you’ll end up in an allotment that had a dog wandering around. We’ll let you figure that out though.

We ended up finding our way in, which led us to the cellar. It wasn’t what you would expect though, as there was just piles of trash dotted about. There was a nice collection of pint glasses which had sat there long enough to cause the shelf to start bending. We climbed the ladders into the bar area, where we came out into a room that kind of looked like a bomb site. There were some interesting things there, such as the pool table and a car number plate. The rest of the rooms in the downstairs were pretty trashed, as it looked as though the remaining rubbish had just been piled up.

We made our way upstairs where the upstairs bar and stage was. It looked like it had been some kind of entertainment or events room in the past. The middle of the room was a death trap as the floor beams were exposed leaving a hefty drop onto the floor below. The upper floor was pretty empty, apart from a couple of piano keyboards, however it still made for a good look around.

We made our way back down to finish off before we left. The bar had some interesting books and folders full of past information and forms, which we spent some time looking at. This was one of more interesting explores we have done, as there were more physical things to look at.

The view from across the road

The sign looks a bit washed out

Quite a sturdy shelf

Pint of lager please

No idea how this got in here. Hope they've got insurance

Fancy a game of pool?

Karaoke must've been fun here on a Friday night

Mind the gap...

View of the bar

As we mentioned we've been quite busy, however we should have plenty more reports coming your way in the next week! Hope you enjoyed reading!​

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Be houses soon enough I expect. why not donate a pool table to somewhere, I hate seeing them left to be vandalised.