real time web analytics
Report - - Spondon 'H' Power Station - Derby - Sept 2016 | UK Power Stations | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Spondon 'H' Power Station - Derby - Sept 2016

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Speed

Got Epic Slow?
Regular User
Been a while coming for me, we had a couple of cracks when we explored the rest of the Celanese site back in 2014. Both times we barely made it inside before the alarms were sounding and after that i decided i'd rather wait until the work was a little further along and the alarms would be potentially switched off than keep wasting my time getting to see very little. I didn't really anticipate the place would still being standing over two years later but that is definitely the case. Several other groups have made thier respective trips in my absence and they have gradually built up a picture of what it looked like inside so that took the pressure off a return. Recently Dempsey came up for the weekend to take a look at some other midlands based turbines and he had a little insider knowledge that suggested demolition of the station is now only weeks away. We decided it was well worth an afternoon of our time to check out if that was indeed true.

13548052645_88fd9576a5_b.jpg

External from our 2014 Visit

After taking a rather tortuous and probably unnecessary route onto site we could see the station appeared to still be intact. Some new heras fencing had been erected and there were signs that asbestos stripping had started on a external part of the site. Other than that it appeared much the same as before. We tried our old access point only to find it sealed up, circled the building several times and in the end ended up taking totally different way in that saw us discover something neither of us had really expected. The far end of the substation block contained a cracking set of locker rooms complete with old skool colliery lockers and tiled shower partitions. Not turbines but a good sign we might be onto something more than a touristy recap of previous peoples efforts.

29799779365_7bab4ba89e_b.jpg

29507373610_49f5c7cfc3_b.jpg

29172180344_683390e34f_b.jpg

29687131112_5807e7cf11_b.jpg

29172172724_e6bacf520c_b.jpg

Moving on from the lockers we headed through into the substation area. Eyes were open for the obvious PIRs and it wasn't long before we found one and tripped it.. No alarm tho, well not a new alarm anyway. I dont think ive been in many places that beep as much as here, i believe they are all fire and process related rather than intruder at this point however.

29717209911_a816811243_b.jpg

29764082696_8c3b006357_b.jpg

29172194034_857d609b95_b.jpg

We popped into a room with some nice panels, tripped another PIR but still nothing. From here on we decided it was more or less a case of 'go for it' it appeared that the alarm system is zoned and the zone that we were in was not armed allowing us to see control room and the various substation rooms (that weren't locked tight) in relative comfort.

29507419410_51fac5f7a0_b.jpg

29717195621_c1b4d2441a_b.jpg

29764076386_ea942694d7_b.jpg

29507360780_2a8455f9f6_b.jpg

29764116766_124d9208e9_b.jpg

After the control room we realised light was fading fast, heading through to the turbines we again started avoiding the sensors. About 10mins elapsed before we heard voices outside.. Time to leave! It turned out to be a security guy in the Derwent station compound on his phone. Was he for us? Im not sure but he didnt see us leave and he alarm wasn't sounding. Probably just a coincidence i guess. Is it still alarmed? I can't say 100% but it certainly appeared to be less looked after than previously. Maybe you guys might want a revisit? I certainly could do with one for the boiler house..

29799757945_2681ae9280_b.jpg

29717193411_8639fbafb2_b.jpg

29717202011_d83debacf9_b.jpg

drhowser

Bespectacled & irrelevant
Regular User
I'd still love a look round Spondon. That switch stuff and the notices is gold.

drhowser

Regular User
We had a similar experience, except the tv was on and there was no sign of the security guy..

Speed

Got Epic Slow?
Regular User
Il probably give it a few months and have another look. Wld be good to catch it when a few more doors are swinging in the breeze.

Dempsey

The Human Turbine.
28DL Full Member
An uneccesarry route? Well by all means I'm sure you could have used one of your previous routes :p However if anyone wants to avoid summer vegitation there is only one other route that will get you in with no variables but you'll need a boat.

All those pir's in the Control block were for security but they weren't set.

I really wish we had time to trip the sensors on the plant floor as I really want a look in at the pump gear etc. So someone needs to have a look below.

I've grown quite fond of this place and would return for a fifth time so give me a shout if anyones going guys. Boba low sparked my interest here so thanks to him and drhowser? We're all doing it.

Spondon is only one of a few like this!

drhowser

Regular User
The ground floor was all we managed to get before the helicopter incident, my photos were on the end of Bobas report, but it looks like they have been archived. I'll dig them out when I get chance.

WhoDaresWins

Let's do this
Regular User
After two visits I really do like this place as it's got a lot to offer. The boiler house is pretty damn nice imo. Only the control room and shower house I've yet to see. Great pics. The sensor that tripped on my first visit was on the far left wall as you're looking at that turbine you've shot, but pointing to the stairs on the other side of the hall.

The Kwan

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Worth the two year wait, ace photatoes mate and those lockers are cool...very nice.

Nate

UrbexN8
Banned
Awesome, I cannot believe the complexity of these sort of places! Defo getting a proper love for metal I am!