real time web analytics
Report (Permission Visit) - St Catherine's Fort, Tenby | Leisure Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report (Permission Visit) St Catherine's Fort, Tenby

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

clay_9

28DL Member
28DL Member
This place has always been very special to me. I have been visiting Tenby all of my life, literally my earliest memory is of running through the main hall when I was about 3 years old. This would have been in the early 80’s when it was briefly open to the public.

A Palmerston Fort completed in 1870, it’s had a colourful history. After seeing no significant military use it was sold to a wealthy local family in 1907, the Windsor Richards. It was garrisoned during both World Wars, later sold off only to become a Zoo in the 70’s.

Since then it has laid mostly derelict until May 2015 when the Tenby Island Project had permission to open the island and Fort to the public. They cleared and made safe the Fort and the main hall of the Fort was recently opened to visitors. That was until August 2016 when planning and future direction issues saw the Fort close to the public once again.

Recently it was used as the 'Sherrinford' location for the last episode of the most recent series of BBC's Sherlock.

The Tenby Island project is no more, but the current owners have recently amended their proposals and planning documents and have just had initial approval to re-open to the public once again, maybe in Easter 2017.

I have had great favour with the caretaker of the Island and had opportunity to go there on multiple occasions to take pictures and video. I have produced a short 1 minute documentary about the Fort which I’d like to share with you all. For full disclosure, the video is my entry for a competition to win a Sony camera. But it’s interesting nonetheless and I hope you enjoy it as an accompaniment to the pictures. The competition shortlisting is based on youtube likes, so please if you enjoyed it, give it a like and share it if you can.

Video:

Thanks all.

The Island and Fort
8o2y9Oa.jpg

The Main entrance
YVq2nEV.jpg

The Forts magazine
Mnpf7K3.jpg

Main hall
NDFSsw1.jpg

Bath which has seen better days!
0UeO4nT.jpg

Lower tunnels
nNFclxG.jpg

Some sort of burner in the generator room.
BXXI374.jpg

Electric box in the generator room
ED2uRFF.jpg

One of the smaller fireplaces in the main hall.
4ar8nkM.jpg