real time web analytics
Report - - St. Columb Minor Methodist Church, Newquay, Cornwall - November 2019 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - St. Columb Minor Methodist Church, Newquay, Cornwall - November 2019

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Terminal Decline

28DL Regular User
Regular User
History
Struggled to find much history on the building, despite its grade 2 listing and prominent location. The chapel was constructed in the late nineteenth century, replacing an earlier chapel in the village and designed in the gothic style. A church hall was added to the rear in the 1960s and the building was probably closed in the early 2000s. Several planning applications have been submitted to convert the building though so far nothing has come of these.

The Explore
Visited with prettyvacant. I’ve known about this place for a good few years now and it was great to finally see inside. The interior, with the exception of the organ is complete and filled with fine pitch-pine woodwork. Some furniture has recently been stored in the church hall, but little has changed since closure. Spent a couple of hours inside and really enjoyed photographing it, one of my favourite derelict churches I’ve visited.

_DSC2262 3.jpg

_DSC2199 3.jpg

Despite most of the windows recently being boarded up, there was still a decent bit of light inside

_DSC2251 3.jpg

The entrance foyer

_DSC2252 3.jpg

_DSC2249 3.jpg

_DSC2206 3.jpg

Looking back towards the entrance from the choir stalls

_DSC2241 3.jpg

It was a great place for some 50mm shots

_DSC2248 3.jpg

_DSC2237 3.jpg

_DSC2240 3.jpg

_DSC2224 3.jpg

The attention to detail which went into these churches was incredible, especially when you consider how many were constructed. Sad to think this kind of craftsmanship will never go into buildings like this again.

_DSC2226 3.jpg

_DSC2219 3.jpg

_DSC2215 3.jpg

The vestry

_DSC2214 3.jpg

The more modern church hall

_DSC2210 3.jpg

Thanks for looking