real time web analytics
Report - - St. George's Hospital, Morpeth - October 2016 | Asylums and Hospitals | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - St. George's Hospital, Morpeth - October 2016

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Bolts

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
St. George's Hospital

a2epzn.jpg

The Northumberland County Lunatic Asylum was opened in 1859 and underwent a major building plan (developed by County Architect John Cresswell) between 1885-9. After the first World War it became known as St George's. With a reduction in patient numbers through the 1970’s and 80’s the hospital gradually began to decrease in size as more services were developed in the community; the last long stay wards in the main building were vacated during the mid 1990’s and eventually much of the main building was mothballed. In 2006 the new St George's hospital was opened next door and, after the relocation of all available services from the original St George's, the first hospital was closed (history from http://www.countyasylums.co.uk/).
The site is currently being demolished with plans to retain the admin block, main hall and the two wards either side of the hall. Much of the site has already been demolished and when I spoke to security afterwards they said that a planning application had recently been approved to completely knock the place down - all that needed to be done was to remove the asbestos.

Main Hall (as seen above)

n2z4lg.jpg

2j5m879.jpg

v8hkyt.jpg

Admin block

2ngdjya.jpg

2m31tnc.jpg

2pzjwgn.jpg

k9gua0.jpg

Female ward

ohvck3.jpg

6nz89k.jpg

2hqzbib.jpg

24zkcvb.jpg

20t4jfk.jpg

aow1p0.jpg

jgqxkm.jpg

2r4qzww.jpg

Male ward

8xiql1.jpg

23v5og.jpg

2amgp0.jpg

jrwg8w.jpg

I didn't get to see much else as it wasn't long after getting the shot of the cell doors that I heard a massive dog shouting it's head off at me, closely followed by two security guards. They were nice enough and we had a bit of chat about the fate of the hospital before I made my way back home - although asylums are pretty much a thing of the past it was cool to be able to finally see one for myself. Cheers for looking!​

Ferox

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Look's like they have been hard at it on the demo. Great pics, you have captured the place well mate :thumb