real time web analytics
Report - - St. Mary's Convent School, Worcester [March 2017] | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - St. Mary's Convent School, Worcester [March 2017]

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Polo

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Visited with @clebby & @Salmon.

DAYMEYn.jpg

6qi8Qhc.jpg

History:
St. Mary's School in Worcester was an independent day school that comprised of three divisions - Early years (3 months to 4 years), the Preparatory school (4 to 11 years) and the Senior school (11 to 18 years). The school welcomed all children up until the age of five before solely accepting girls from 5-18 years.

8I91lEG.jpg

Battenhall Mount - the building in which the school was situated - dates back to the Victorian era and was built during the 1860s. It was taken over by Sir Percy Allsopp who eventually extended the building, modelling the site after the Italianate style popularised by Prince Albert. After Allsopp's family went bankrupt and the house was sold off, Battenhall Mount was used as a home/hospital during WW1.

y4KzfFy.jpg

In between the two World Wars, the house was put on sale. The Sisters of St. Marie Madeleine Postel from St. Joseph's Convent School in Reading bought the property in 1934 and converted the site into a school.

Following a surprising announcement that the school was incapable of continuing due to the recession, St. Mary's Convent School ceased operations at the end of the 2014 summer term.
This place was yet another incredible site that I had the opportunity of exploring after Clebby & Salmon invited me along on a Sunday morning. There was just so much stuff to look at, somewhat surprising me seeing as I thought the school wasn't that big after I saw a few externals whilst on a quick search shortly before I visited.

I'll be honest; I don't know too much about 'Italianate style' buildings and stuff the other two seem to know a lot about, however the fact that parts of the school were so impressive made me forget at times that I was in an old school and not a mansion - even though, technically, it once was.

Anyway, onto the photos. Starting with the slightly boring and pretty standard classrooms:

4eOElBU.jpg

2XZuIkS.jpg

j2nwtiS.jpg

vV8e1tE.jpg

h6AJL9g.jpg

bYx4SvC.jpg

v6iZZHZ.jpg

objEMi1.jpg

JGqSUAv.jpg

QtXFlzX.jpg

gvwe5XC.jpg

A bit further on down the corridor was by far the best classroom onsite, reminding me of how much I dreaded science and how frequently bad I was at it. The stuff that was still inside the store room really surprised me as I didn't expect to see a range of acids and other chemicals when we set off for Worcester a few hours beforehand.

zS3L3hm.jpg

dWB3yUv.jpg

i7YSA1k.jpg

8n8Z7fj.jpg

vqYwYGD.jpg

ljmxAv4.jpg

MAwm6AK.jpg

yjrZrbT.jpg

After spending a fair bit of time in the science room, it was time to stroll down the corridor and head for the older parts of the building. Was this different to the sixth form at my old secondary school? Just a bit.

CWVSvbN.jpg

oEr2iPg.jpg

zwM4Lt5.jpg

I'm slightly disappointed I didn't get many more photos of that bit, I found it difficult to capture at the time.

5g2rzQV.jpg

VqSAMDY.jpg

p5lx2ut.jpg

0w2EILZ.jpg

Continued in the comments below...

Polo

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Continued...

Through a door and up the tower was where I found probably my favourite part of the entire site. A large stash of newspapers dating between 1987 and 1995 (the ones I spotted and went through anyway) fascinated me and somehow still only resulted in me trying to find something football-related.

Lq7wXQi.jpg

mBmyGJO.jpg

Headlines from times around/during the Gulf War as well as the 1994 FIFA World Cup hosted by the US were found, but the most interesting for me were Times editions reporting on the Hillsborough disaster.

PUBbxJu.jpg

fUOtNTd.jpg

After rummaging through numerous boxes by myself for quite some time, I made my way out onto the roof.

uhVgjP9.jpg

s0aFCVo.jpg

Sorry for the relatively lengthy report but, as I said, there was just so much stuff to look at and photograph. If you'd like to see more then I'd suggest checking out Clebby's report here - more photos of specific details and the basement as well as information of the place and the explore throughout.

As always, thanks to both for letting me tag along and I look forward to posting more in the future.

Thanks for looking!

Last edited:

Salmon

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Fantastic report! You captured the place so well and I love the write up. It was such a good day out.

Gorgi

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I was walking past here the other day and saw that it had closed, I was tempted but was on a tight schedule. Looks like I'll have to go in now :)

duddub202

28DL Member
28DL Member
It looks fantastic, is it abandoned tho it looks maintained like maybe u went in at the weekend when it was closed? Or has it been closed down for years?

Yorrick

A fellow of infinite jest
28DL Full Member
It looks fantastic, is it abandoned tho it looks maintained like maybe u went in at the weekend when it was closed? Or has it been closed down for years?

It closed in 2014. Recently - Planning consent was granted for the demolition of modern structures, conversion, change of use and new build to create a care community with communal areas and facilities. The main Grade II listed house remains, parts of which will provide the communal use. The planning granted was for 100 units together with the communal areas.

I don't know if they've started yet though.