real time web analytics
Report - - St Michael's Catholic College, Leeds, May 2011 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - St Michael's Catholic College, Leeds, May 2011

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

catbalou

off the wall
Regular User
After reading Gone's report from January, I decided I wanted to have a look at this place, but since 4 months had passed since the last report, I thought the place may have been stripped since then. I was quite surprised that there was still quite a bit left to see, and the place was a fair size.
Met up with jjt, who showed me around (thanks mate, was great to meet you, and thanks for helping me with "that" wall, even though I did accidentally boot you with my doc martins on the way!)
On arrival, there were already people wandering about, non-explorers, who seemed to be bemused by the fact we were there to take photographs of the building... but they were friendly enough and since I dropped the website name to them: if you're reading this kids, dont forget to turn the lights out on your next visit :)

Little bit of history from the Yorkshire Post on it's closure (officially 2005) but parts remained open til 2008): -

"Officially, St Michael's closed in 2005, just as it celebrated it centenary.
Saint Michael's was formed in 1905, after two young Jesuit priests were invited to Leeds by the city's Catholic Bishop William Gordon.

They divided the city into north and south between them and painstakingly knocked on doors, encouraging Catholic families to send their sons to the new school, originally called Leeds Catholic College.

As first based in a seminary in the city, the school moved into its new home in 1908 – the current buildings designed by architect Benedict Williamson, who later became a parish priest himself, in London.

Originally a fee-paying grammar school for boys, it took in pupils from not only Leeds but also Harrogate, York, Bradford and Selby.

Catholic girls in the area were taught in the nearby Notre Dame school.

Major changes to St Michael's have included a 1960s extension of new science labs, gym and main hall, and in the 1970s, when Jesuits left the school, the first lay head teacher was appointed.

By the early 1990s, the school had evolved in a comprehensive for boys and girls, and shortly after saw the building of a dance and drama studio.

The school has a distinctive coats of arms, with the flaming sword of St Michael and drops of blood signifying Christ . The school motto, Quis Ut Deus, means Who is like God, and relates to the meaning of St Michael's Hebrew name.

The archangel St Michael is himself depicted in a statue above the main entrance.
Viewed as the "good" Angel of Death, he is more latterly regarded as the patron saint of soldiers and police."

All in all, a good few hours was spent here... its amazing how you lose track of time while exploring... really relaxed explore, and was a great way to spend an afternoon.

8b7905ad.jpg

9109b11f.jpg

f4820581.jpg

7294c9bb.jpg

d4175b6b.jpg

1d60854e.jpg

dc95f3d0.jpg

eedb370c.jpg

7318a216.jpg

bd879d72.jpg

556eaeb4.jpg

7ce329f5.jpg