real time web analytics
Report - - St Pancras Borough Control - june 2018 | Underground Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - St Pancras Borough Control - june 2018

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Tocsin35

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
History
The post war St. Pancras Borough Control was located under a small public park on the north west side of the junction of Highgate Road and Gordon House Road, London, NW5. The bunker was built about 1953 and was part of the North West Group reporting to Mill Hill. St. Pancras, Hampstead and Holborn metropolitan boroughs merged in 1965 to form the London Borough of Camden and the bunker became Camden's main control until the Civil Defence Corps was disbanded in 1968. With the revival of the borough controls in the 1980's a new site was found at the Town Hall in Euston Road when Camden was designated 51A6.

My visit
After spending a day seeking out a lot of second world war underground structure in London aided by subbrit I decided to put a bit of focus on my main interest, cold war civil defence. I quickly realised having been using the northern line most of the day I was in the perfect position to get to St Pancras Borough Control Bunker which wasn't too far from Camden deep shelter. Upon reaching Tufnell park station I quickly got my bearings and found myself walking through some rather sketchy looking estate I was keen to get out of. soon I reached the site and had easy access to the surface features as the main concrete block style entrance is situated in front of a flat and the vents by a public footpath.

Access to this bunker was impossible with both the door and the metal hatches on the two escape shafts being welded shut years ago to stop local children gaining access. I think that means subbrit are the only people to have gained access when the Camden Council agreed to grind of the welds and fit new locks on the main door. Although the Bunker looks harshly damaged by time and water ( not vandals at least ) it would have been cool to see the interior and how its coping since subbrits 2001 visit. I wasn't dissapointed however as I could get a bit of an inside view through the vent of sorts which was cool.
st_pancras.gif

This plan of the bunker gives good insight to its functions and scale - source http://www.subbrit.org.uk/rsg/sites/s/st_pancras_control/

st_pancras_control_2.jpg

This image and the one below show how most the wall divisions and doors have been reduced to mush and the bunker is severely damaged although
not by vandals. However on the plus side as stated by subbrit many features still remained like names on doors and ventilation trunking remain.
photo by Nick Catford - source http://www.subbrit.org.uk/rsg/sites/s/st_pancras_control/
st_pancras_control_3.jpg

The control room with original tables and ladder for the escape shaft both of which are now welded shut although visible on the surface
as will be seen in my photos below. The room yet again is very dilapidated which is sad but has a rather interesting look of decay to it.
photo by Nick Catford - source http://www.subbrit.org.uk/rsg/sites/s/st_pancras_control/

Onto my photos
IMG_0085.JPG

The exterior looks very bland but in a weird insconspicuous to passers by of what it used to be. very little has changed externally since subbrit's visit

IMG_0092.JPG

The door is securely locked and looks to be welded in places. Trust me when I say this wont budge one bit
IMG_0093.JPG

This (I may be wrong) looks to be a vent due to its appearance and its proximity to the access shaft although weirdly its not made of reinforced concrete.

IMG_0094.JPG

One of the two welded escape hatches. looking at the plans I suspect this is the hatch the leads out from the control room shown in previous pictures. Next to it are weird concrete squares
which may be of some significance due to this also being over the scientific advisors room although I'm not sure.
IMG_0099.JPG

Here is the second escape shaft which looking at plans would have led out of the Bunkers plant room. This too is welded up and shut tight.
IMG_0095.JPG

This without a doubt is a vent which looking at the plans would lead out of the admin room or maybe the toilets.

IMG_0098.JPG

The access shaft from behind. The benches show how publicly its situated ,its a miracle only some slight graffiti has been done to the outside
IMG_0109.JPG

This is located very near the access shaft and directly over where the kitchen and canteen is situated so I wonder if it was some sort of heat or smoke release pipe for cooking.
IMG_0090.JPG

This vent then caught my eye so went to have a look through with my torch.
IMG_0107.JPG

A blue bucket is attached to the wall for some reason by this vent. At the bottom the main door to the bunker possibly stands up against the wall as this one never had a blast door
only a wooden one for some odd reason. Its overall looking a bit worst for wear but still has some nice features like the railings and old light switch.
IMG_0106.JPG

Airfix

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Good report, pity access was denied but good to see some external photographs of the surface features.

DaveFM

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
That small brick constructed vent looks like a vent for underground pipes or cables, probably not associated with the bunker.