real time web analytics
Report - - St Stephens Hospital Mortuary - Cork - August 2019 | Asylums and Hospitals | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - St Stephens Hospital Mortuary - Cork - August 2019

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Bugsuperstar

Irresponsible & Reckless
Regular User
St Stephens Hospital was completed in 1954 under the then Minister for Health Doctor Noel Browne. Built as a Tuberculosis Sanatorium it stands high above the surrounding township, however it now serves as a local psychiatric hospital providing various services to Cork City. There are several residential units onsite and CAMHS operate their services from here too.

There is actually an adjoining chapel of rest and small service chapel but it is currently locked up unfortunately. Its on the other side of these doors...

zjundYO.jpg

9BDp6eb.jpg

Heading through into the main mortuary are a couple of other little rooms, containing various different bits

bc9Ig1m.jpg

no8qvVV.jpg

YdYfjqW.jpg

I loved this old telephone

PBIrpDB.jpg

There is actually three slabs in this one, two of them are separated by a small dividing wall and are just open to the corridor. They don't have any fluid drainage systems and seem to be hard moulded plastic. I've not personally seen any tables like this before and this isn't the first mortuary I've visited. If anyone knows their purpose, let me know.

LyIZhgN.jpg

2Iy4ToI.jpg

And then the main mortuary

ItUidVh.jpg

iLSNmBp.jpg

BAjgOFH.jpg

czJbz29.jpg

QqXbN0o.jpg

qiFxvjY.jpg

wE4D0WS.jpg

jojDzM3.jpg

Thanks for looking!​

Krypton

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Nice! The plastic ones are probably just for body storage as opposed to being for post-mortems. It was quite common in smaller mortuary's not to have fridges.

Pammyj

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Very nice! The plastic ones could be for relatives to view the body’s? Purely a guess as I’ve never been in a morgue yet unfortunately

Bugsuperstar

Irresponsible & Reckless
Regular User
Nice! The plastic ones are probably just for body storage as opposed to being for post-mortems. It was quite common in smaller mortuary's not to have fridges.

I’d say you’re spot on with that. There was a room off to side in the mortuary at St Mary’s Asylum that had something similar but made from timber.

Krypton

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I’d say you’re spot on with that. There was a room off to side in the mortuary at St Mary’s Asylum that had something similar but made from timber.
I used to have the pleasure of working with dead bodies for a few years. Even as recently as two or three years ago there were mortuary's that didn't have proper refrigeration facilities o_O