real time web analytics
Report - - St Vincent's Catholic Church and Presbytery - Cork - March 2023 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - St Vincent's Catholic Church and Presbytery - Cork - March 2023

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

jtza

28DL Regular User
Regular User
St Vincent's Catholic Church and Presbytery

I have been looking through places that aren't particularly special but still deserve to be posted and this church in Cork is one of those. One afternoon on our quick weekend trip to Cork Alex and I came across it by accident. Our curiosity got the best of us and we were out the car in the pouring rain trying to decipher if it was closed or not. Peeling paint and mould in the lower rooms was the first indicator it had shut and after a bit of searching online I found it shut around 2017 due to a lack of priests. The main history of the place is as follows:

St. Vincent’s was originally designed by the Sligo born architect John Benson (1812-74). The church was officially opened in July, 1856 but it was unfinished at the time and the task of bring the building to completion fell to Goldie. The building of the church had been a difficult process as, following a storm, ‘extensive damage’ to the church left nothing standing except for the ‘east and west gables and the aisle walls.’ When the church was eventually opened The Cork Daily Reporter singled out Goldie’s designs for the reredos and high altar.

Anyways, it made for a fun hour or so getting in, running around shooting what we could in between setting off alarms. We didn't stick around long with it being connected to the university building and went to find the others off somewhere else in Cork!

DSC08461.jpg

DSC08441.jpg

DSC08448.jpg

DSC08444.jpg

DSC08446.jpg

DSC08455.jpg

DSC08449.jpg

DSC08456.jpg

On the balcony in between the organ

DSC08457.jpg

DSC08458.jpg

The modern additions which helped sell its abandoned status to us:

DSC08450.jpg

DSC08453.jpg

DSC08451.jpg

DSC08452.jpg

All in all a nice break from the car and fun to document.

Thanks for looking!​

dansgas1000

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Shots 2 and 6 are bangers, cracking pics. Sounds a little stressful with the running around and alarms going off though!

Bikin Glynn

28DL Regular User
Regular User
That looks pretty nice to me.
I particularly like the model of the catholic priest seductively touching a young child!