real time web analytics
Report - - St. Vincent's School- Sheffield- January 2012 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - St. Vincent's School- Sheffield- January 2012

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

steel-ex

28DL Member
28DL Member
so here goes my first report!
Earlier this year I visited St. Vincent's School in search of the work of Phlegm. I had seen pictures of some of these works before scattered around on the net and decided it was time to find it for myself. I went armed only with my trusty old, point-and-shoot camera not knowing what to expect as this was my first exploration.
This building (and the church next to it) was built in the 19th century at the height of the industrial revolution at a time when many Irish immigrants came to England in search of work. They walked across the Pennines from Liverpool to Sheffield due to the prosper of the steel works and cutlery manufacture. Most of the Irish were catholic and were in need of a church, St. Vincent's church and school was commissioned and built initially in 1853. the pupils of the school were taught by the sisters of charity.

report6.jpg

^ I rocked up after trawling the internet to find clues to the location and became massively excited while parking the car. the building was set really close to the city center and it seemed forgotten even though it was surrounded by flats and such like.

after cautiously scouting the area i found the best point of access and quickly got in. As soon as i got in there i could see the artwork i had been so looking forward to see on many of the walls.

report5.jpg

I (rather naively) walked into the first room all over the mushy floorboards to photograph the painting shown below, before quickly realizing what i was standing on and becoming quite panicked haha.

report1.jpg

report3.jpg

Downstairs was much darker without a torch but still fun and there was more work to be seen.

report2.jpg

report4.jpg

there was another area which were further down and with no outside light were just to dark to see anything. I have been back since and checked this other area out and found more artwork and a few dorms/offices, however it was still too dark to get decent photos.

i hope you enjoyed reading my first report, Steel-ex

Who has read this thread (Total: 4) View details