real time web analytics
Report - - St Vincent's, Sheffield, South Yorkshire, April 2013 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - St Vincent's, Sheffield, South Yorkshire, April 2013

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

HughieD

28DL Regular User
Regular User
1. The History
St Vincent’s dates back to the 19th century and the height of the Industrial Revolution, when thousands of Irish immigrants moved to England trying to escape the Irish Potato Famine in the mid-1840s. After disembarking in Liverpool, many were attracted by the prosperous cutlery and tool industries in Sheffield. Back then, Sheffield’s iron and steel industry was centred around a maze of small courtyards and alleyways named The Crofts. It occupied a huge area stretching from Scotland Street in the north down to Paradise Street in the south including Solly Street, Hollis Croft and either side of Tenter Street and Broad Lane. The mainly Irish population were predominantly catholic, two thirds of whom lived in severe poverty in squalid back-to-back houses.

Most of the emigrants worshipped at St Marie’s church in Norfolk Row which was the only Catholic church in Sheffield. In the early 1850s, the relaxing of the Penal Laws and restrictions on the Catholic faith led Father Edmund Scully of St Marie’s to pledge to build a school-chapel for The Crofts area. It was duly completed in July 1853. After that, neighbouring towns and wealthy businessmen donated hundreds of pounds to the finance the building of a new church and on the 25th March 1856, the church’s foundation stone was laid at a spot called ‘White Croft’. Construction went ahead at a fair pace and after completion, the first Mass took place on the 15th December. Over the coming few years, despite being in a deep industrial depression, the school-chapel become overcrowded, leading to the construction of a new boy’s school, facing into Solly Street.

While the new church and school gave local children the chance of an education, life in the Crofts remained poverty-stricken for most and, at the at turn of the century, disease was commonplace. So much so that The Crofts had the highest death rate in Sheffield with one-in-four children dying before the age of one. The appalling sanitary system and spread of disease led to Sheffield Corporation earmarking The Crofts for demolition. However, as the demolishers moved into one slum area, most residents would simply move into another to avoid having to leave the area completely. The first block of flats was built in 1903 on the site of the old Crofts, followed by a second block in 1908 and despite the best efforts of Sheffield Corporation, The Crofts, remained relatively downtrodden.

Back in 1870, a church tower was added, initially built up to a height of 40 feet and then raised to its present-day height of 93 feet in 1911 by architect Charles Hadfield. Completed in just 6 months it also encompassed a 25-cwt bell.

During the first world war, just shy of a thousand men from the parish served in the army. Despite a quarter losing their lives, post-war, the parish community flourished. However, the area around the church remained mainly slum housing and included one of the gangs involved in the Sheffield Gang Wars of the mid-1920s that lead to the city being nicknamed 'Little Chicago'. In 1931 the church was finally consecrated after the debts of construction had been paid-off. Despite this, unemployment and poverty led Sheffield Corporation to initiate a second round of slum clearances, with over 3 acres of old properties demolished and their thousand-or-so inhabitants rehoused in the surrounding areas of Wincobank, Abourthorne and Shiregreen.

Archive picture prior to World War Two showing the then in-tact church from 1853:

49827288972_8e3fc4247e_n.jpg

The next major incident in St Vincent’s history came during the Sheffield Blitz, when, in December 1940, the Luftwaffe scored a direct hit on St Vincent’s church with a parachute mine landed on the roof. Although it resulted in the destruction of the original 1853 chapel, the newer part of the church from 1911 escaped serious damage. It blew every window in the church out from their frames and almost completely destroying the church organ. The church was rebuilt and reopened on Easter Sunday 1942, although it took until 1953 before the organ was fully restored. Post-war, the parish once again flourished and in the late 1940’s a new youth centre, The Dramatic Society, was established. In the 1950’s famous television and film star Patrick McGoohan [Dangerman, The Prisoner] learnt his trade here.

After the church’s resurgence in the 1950s, the 1960’s saw many of the parish drift away from the city centre. Despite this, a new Mortuary Chapel was built on the site of the old sacristy majority in 1977. In 1983, a falling number of priests led to St Vincent’s being gradually vacated. St Vincent’s school closed in 1989 and then in 1996 the Vincentian Fathers withdrew from Sheffield completely. On 19th July 1996, St Vincent’s Church closed its doors for the last time. The interior of the church was used for storing furniture while the land round the church was used for car parking.

After two decades of neglect, the future of the church was thankfully secured when site was purchased by Unite Students. They submitted planning permission for student accommodation in 2016, and after this was accepted conversion commenced. The first students took up residence two year's later in September 2018. The old school building remained the property of St Vincent's parish, but was gifted to Mission Hub Sheffield, an Evangelical Catholic organisation in 2017. Its renovation was completed by 2019 and is now co-used by the mission and the Catholic chaplaincy of the University of Sheffield, thus completing the rehabilitation of the whole St. Vincent's complex.

2. The Explore
Visited back in the depths of 2013, the church was the main objectives of this explore. All sealed-up, I could not find a way in and hence the church sadly was a fail. The adjoining Catholic Boy's club was still in semi-use, however, all was not lost. The two main buildings that made up the former Church School were easily accessible. The place was mostly roofless and pretty trashed with the upper floor of the main building of the school a complete death trap. The main attraction for exploring this place was a number of pieces by the then up-and-coming Sheffield graffiti artist Phlegm. At the time I would have never thought for one minute that within a decade the whole of this site would be completely renovated.

3. The Pictures

A few externals of the church:

49823985852_093089f412_b.jpg

49823986577_d190c5c426_b.jpg

49823667881_e0fc4e6aec_b.jpg

49823988732_31a410b0ae_b.jpg

Roof of the boy’s school:

49823667061_2873a29a23_b.jpg

49824001757_6816b9f2c5_b.jpg

And we are in. And it is a little bit dodgy:

49823997867_01c328eea3_b.jpg

The first Phlegm:

49823147743_c9bd1f651d_b.jpg

A second Phlegm:

49823675241_7c24462961_b.jpg

49823679326_8c2c0e8d7f_b.jpg

And a third!

49823680166_37c52e8630_b.jpg

Down to the ground floor:

49823146028_35e2d5e486_b.jpg

49823989727_cdda7523e3_b.jpg

49823670521_335311f8d4_b.jpg

49823140458_7efe5d34b8_b.jpg

49823675746_5af47fae8c_b.jpg

No shit Sherlock!

49823674731_a52ec7c49f_b.jpg

Ivy at the window:

49823672636_8c83ec4cd4_b.jpg

Another now vanished Phlegm:

49823140918_cf8c07a2f1_b.jpg

And another:

49823142793_7b7eef842c_b.jpg

49823151378_4f713d8415_b.jpg

49823683121_4ace08ea9d_b.jpg

Last edited:

Esoteric Eric

28DL Regular User
Regular User
I made it in the church in 2017, never did the 'School of Phlegm' though. I have the 'Pen & Ink' book, worth a few quid on eBay these days.

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
I do like phlegms work, he became quite well known I believe & even took part in urban art festivals. Good report this. Like the shot of the weather vane. Shame re the church, but always good when all is not lost :thumb

KayCee13

28DL Member
28DL Member
Wow what a great site! Yank in the house, born in the US. Sheffield was the home of my great-grands some of whom lived in the Crofts and I have been trying read-up on the topic and learn. Your site has been most helpful. I have a question I wonder if you may help me resolve? Below illustration I found on the internet specifically by searching for St. Vincent De Paul Church, Sheffield “images“ using the search engine Duckduckgo. ( I used to Google, but do not like their tracking; I feel it a privacy invasion of sort) As you see, I captured an illustration of the church with four spires on top. Do you know if this is accurate? I am confused a bit as one of your great photos shows the church pre Blitz without spires. I am trying to accurately document for my family tree. Were there spires? Can you advise?

There is not a whole lot of info on Irish in Sheffield, so I feel your site is a valuable historical asset. Great work documenting! My people were Carrolls and Murphys the latter of whom were previously from Tuam, Ire. and related to Hession family. From what I read, there was a whole lot of politics involved with the famine. To some extent I think our people fled right into their oppressors hands.
I wonder if Sheffield natives feel mixed loyalties politically, but not trying to create WWIII.

My Grandad Michael Murphy worked in the Colliery. Other relations worked making cutlery. I have been amazed how knowing very little, I have still been able to form a little biopic on family. My great-gran and siblings were christened in St. Vincents. ( Mariae Carrol, Patricius Carroll and others) Murphys were christened in Cathedral San Mariae.

I look forward to the possibility of your reply. Oh and as others have commented Art work by Phlegm is a plus! What in part impresses me is his graffiti looks like metal works - so appropriate to Sheffield, right? God Bless all Sheffieldians! Hope to visit there one after-the -plague day!

KayCee 2

Who has read this thread (Total: 196) View details