real time web analytics
Report - - Standedge Tunnels July '11 | Underground Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Standedge Tunnels July '11

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

aem

Perilously hopeless....
28DL Full Member
Your explorers for the evening: Mstarmatt & aem
Powered by: Relentless and BLT butties (other energy drinks and sandwiches are available)

There are three railway tunnels and a canal tunnel (on the Huddersfield Narrow Canal). The canal tunnel is the longest and oldest of the tunnels, and holds the record as the longest and highest canal tunnel in Britain.[1] All four tunnels are linked by cross-tunnels or adits at strategic locations within the tunnels. The adits allowed the railway tunnels to be built much more quickly by allowing 'waste spoil'(sic) to be removed by boat and reducing the need for shafts for construction.
Of the railway tunnels, only the tunnel built in 1894 is currently used for rail traffic. Closed in 1943, the canal tunnel was re-opened in May 2001. The Standedge Tunnel Visitor Centre, at the Marsden end of the tunnel, serves as a base for boat trips into the canal tunnel and hosts an exhibition which depicts the various crossings.

I could bore you all senseless like I did mstarmatt with the rest of the history and construtcion of the tunnels, but I won't. There's plenty on wiki if you're interested :D.

Imagine our surprise when we rocked up to find every man, women and child lining the roads to see this steam engine leaving the Marsdon station. This was going to take a while. :banghead

P1020898.jpg

After some Yorkshire stylee ninja infiltration (jumping down a 10ft wall and running down a field) we were in

P1020900.jpg

3.5 miles of disused rail tunnel

P1020922.jpg

One of the many adits used to move spoil from the rail tunnels while under construction via the canal tunnel

P1020909.jpg

Base of an airshaft. An unbelievable amount of water was pouring down every available point in here - even though rain was nowhere to be seen. I suppose being 160ft below the surface will do that.

P1020914-1.jpg

Strengthening

P1020919.jpg

DANGER: EXPLORER

P1020902.jpg

Canal

P1020926.jpg

P1020956.jpg

P1020964.jpg

Must've forgotten mine

P1020951.jpg

P1020960.jpg