real time web analytics
Report - - Steel works, Wales 14/11/2007 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Steel works, Wales 14/11/2007

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

pixman

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Hi all! first report here, hope its okay - Think i have probably posted too many pictures!

Steel works - Both the meltshop (not used for last few years), and I think a rod mill (which doesn't seem to have worked for 10 years at least) I won't say the location as its part of ths site is live with current business, but if you want to know please just ask via message.

Really good explore, covered production areas, offices and stores. Access was straightforward enough - a few people on site who seemed happy to either grunt or ignore me, but once in the actual buildings i didn't see anyone.

Explore: very dark in places, dusty, and the opportunity is there to climb very high! - I went quite high, but some platforms etc looked dodgy, and i was by myself. Electricity is still on - some of it looks fairly dangerous.

Heres the pics.
Offices. Some trophies, loads of old computers, plans, instruction manuals and work clothing everywhere. One trophy was from 1964 for a ladies day.
IMG_1042.jpg

IMG_1044.jpg

Meltshop
This was amazing... so many photos but tried to put in some of the more interesting ones, and ones that show the scale of the place. The whole place was dark, apart from lights left on. All the computers seemed to still be on.
IMG_1061.jpg

View over the cooling bed
IMG_1305.jpg

Fairly deep in, very near the furnace. Workers need all the luck they can get here I guess.
IMG_1092.jpg

The required chair shot.
IMG_1108.jpg

The worlds biggest bucket??! Used to melt scrap down into liquid form
IMG_1117.jpg

IMG_1206.jpg

I was faily high up at this point, yet the floor spaces were still massive. Initally worried with the lights on in the control room, but totally deserted, and judging by the dust, it has been empty for a long time. (Check out all the cabling.)
IMG_1121.jpg

IMG_1188.jpg

IMG_1172.jpg

Guessing the place was 43 years old when closed.
IMG_1135.jpg

Water or petrol anyone?
IMG_1180.jpg

Another control room, like the expense gone to on the chair.
IMG_1216.jpg

IMG_1217.jpg

Why I didn't go to high - some of the structure was starting to collapse in places.
IMG_1251.jpg

check out the dust:
IMG_1238.jpg

33,000VOLTS
IMG_1261.jpg

Permit office
IMG_1312.jpg

Stores
IMG_1335.jpg

1970's records. in tact.
IMG_1347.jpg

The Mill

The highlight for me: clocking in machine and cards still in tact, located in one of the mills. I had a quick look at some and the dates went to the eighties, early nineties.
IMG_1359.jpg

Locker room
IMG_1470.jpg

Old first aid post
IMG_1429.jpg

IMG_1400.jpg

Cool style control room! with everything looking like it was still switched on, Looked like something out of a James Bond Movie!
IMG_1523.jpg

IMG_1526.jpg

Nature clawing the site back.
IMG_1540.jpg

Warning.
IMG_1506.jpg

Lastly, I climbed a crane before exiting the same way in
IMG_1605.jpg

Hope you like, any feedback would be great!!! and anyone exploring in south wales, or into road tripping further afield, please let me know!