real time web analytics
Report - - Stewartby Brick Works - April '21 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Stewartby Brick Works - April '21

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Orinoco

28DL Member
28DL Member
Well here we go, first stab at this report malarky

History
The original brickworks opened in1897 by the village then known as Wooten Pillinge. In 1937 the village was renamed Stewartby after the Stewart family who were heavily involved with the development of the works. Stewartby was the largest brick factory in the world (based on output at approximately 18 million brick at the height of the works use). The site was forced to close in 2008 as the owners Hanson (mmm bop) were unable to bring the sulpher dioxide emissions into check despite spending a fair wedge trying. Upon closure the factory chimneys were due to be demolished but were given a reprieve and have been listed for preservation.

The visit
As my friend had been previously I followed her lead and access was very simple and we walked straight towards the buildings. We were left completely to our exploration despite my thinking we would be kicked out fairly quickly. Possibly being over cautious we avoided some areas as getting injured first time out would have been a real bummer. We did hit a small issue with leaving the site as the hole we came in through had been Haras fenced and they'd dug a huge mound of earth up against it. My friend went all ninja on me and before I'd packed the camera away was off to hatch an escape plan. Back at the car we were both buzzing having thoroughly enjoyed the experience

Last edited:

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Well done on 1st report. Your format is spot on. Nice photos there too. Good history. The chimney & boots are cool shots

Donnie

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Just to let people know that they have now shored up several of the ways in in the last fortnight or so! It's still accessible but not as walk in where it used to be thats for sure.

Fat-Explorer

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Nice report thanks looks like it going to get cleared soon.

Surely as its surrounded by fields there must be other ways in?

Bikin Glynn

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Just to let people know that they have now shored up several of the ways in in the last fortnight or so! It's still accessible but not as walk in where it used to be thats for sure.

It was open a week back but about bloody time really.
U know there is a footpath running through the land there so they cant legally keep u out anyway

Bikin Glynn

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Nice report thanks looks like it going to get cleared soon.

Surely as its surrounded by fields there must be other ways in?

a village one side, roads the other 2 & a live landfill on the other side so no not really but yeah its impossible to completely seal it