real time web analytics
Report - - Stillingfleet Colliery - August 2023 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Stillingfleet Colliery - August 2023

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Slyspark

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
At a loose end for something to do whilst visting a fellow Urbexer on a trip up North and having discovered the place we oroiginally intended on visiting had recently been demolished, a search of the surrounding areas revealed Stillingfleet Collery, near York. Whilst the site has been derelict now some 20 years and a lot of the buildings, such as the admin block, miners dry, winders and both pit heads have been demolished, it looked like there might still be enough there for a couple of hours worth of exploring, so, we decided to give it a go.

History:

Stillingfleet was one of several collieries constructed part of the Selby Coalfield, a massive set of undergound workings, linked together undergound and with pitheads at Wistow, Riccall, Stillingfleet, Whitemoor, North Selby and Gascoine Wood. Whilst the above each had it's own mining teams, workshops & admin blocks, coal only came to the surface at Gascoine Wood where a large rail transfer yard took the coal onwards, to sites such as Drax power station. A large undergound conveyor system meant the coal from all areas of the pit only came to surface here. However, during construction and earlly operations, waste mining spoil at least was extracted at each pit - a large transfer yard exists at Stillingfleet, which is surrounded by tracks for the mine carts and linked to both of the pit heads, meaning easy transfer from mine cart to road vehicle for onward transfer and disposal. First dreamed up in 1974 by the NCB (National Coal Board) and Labour government of the time, the 'Selby Superpit' as it became known , saw shafts sunk at Stillinglfleet in June 1978 but, as the creation of a mine is no simple process, production at the site didn't commence until January 1988. Whilst the 'Super Mine' enjoyed early success, the Coal Industry Act of 1994 saw the framework laid for the break up of British Coal with the Selby Coalfield acquired by RJB Mining in 1995. Between 1995 and 1999 the mine complex went from a successful venture to a loss-making operation, from there, the writing was on the wall. In 2002 it was announced by UK Coal that the coalfield would close during 2003 / 2004. The mine at Stillingfleet closed in 2004, with production ending on 30th July.

The Explore:

Initially, Google maps suggested it was as simple as ducking under a single metal barrier and just walking in, however, a 6' high gate greeted us at the entrance. A spot of walking and consulting of satellite imagery, soon found an easy route into the site. Now very overgrown, a lot of the site has been demolished - interesting areas such as the admin block, miners dry, pitheads, etc are nothing more than vast empty concrete slabs, however, a few workshops still remain, along with a smaller office, all now largley stripped of anything of much interest and heavily vandalised. A second block of buildings in the South-East corner of the site also remains - these are the electrical substations and switchrooms. Please note - these are very much still in use, as coal gas is now extracted from one of the capped mine shafts and is used on-site, to generate electricity. These buildings are secure, sections around them (and the pit head) are fenced, covered by CCTV and on the day we visited, also clearly had signs that people were at work - we stayed well clear of these buildings and enjoyed an undisturbed explore of the remaining site. The photos below show the buildings we were able to get into, along with wider views of the rest of the site and transfer yard.

The Future:

Part of the site is in use for electricity generation and the remainder of the site is currently proposed as a waste storage and sorting facility. The derelict areas are also used for police firearms training, with literally thousands of blank / plastic tipped bullets laying around everywhere

DSC_7954.JPG

Above - Maintenance workshop area stairs to offices

DSC_7956.JPG

Above - View down into electrical fitting shop from first floor offices

DSC_7961.JPG

Above - Manuals and documentation found on workbence in woodworking / general workshop

DSC_7970.JPG

Above: Smaller woodworking / general workshop on the end of the stores building

IMG_8313.JPG

Above: View over to 'live' part of site / power generation buildings

IMG_8325.JPG

Above: Rear of parts stores & main access roadway in. The main gate and admin building were to the right (now demolished).

IMG_8332.JPG

Above: Ex rated fire-alarm callpoint (For use in a gaseous / explosive environment)

IMG_8334.JPG

Above: Stores bell (unsure about Mick however....)

IMG_8335.JPG

Above: Stores parts issue counter (seen from stores side)

IMG_8339.JPG

Above: View from roller shutter on parts store, looking out towards transit yard and fitters workshops.

IMG_8344.JPG

Above: Police Line

IMG_8346.JPG

Above: Transit yard from canteen on end of stores building

IMG_8347.JPG

Above: Live power generation area, seen though windown of staff canteen, parts store building

IMG_8349.JPG

Above: Parts store viewed through broken canteen window

IMG_8359.JPG

Above: All roads lead to the pit. Both of these tracks lead to the now capped and fenced shaft. There are 2 shafts here, the other out of view, further to the left. There would once have been a pithead here, with a set of enclosed headgear, an electric winder and then immediately to the right, the miners dry, admin areas, etc. The building seen on the right, is the canteen area on the end of the parts store. The original admin buildings, miners dry, etc were all built in this style, but sadly now long demolished.

IMG_8362.JPG

Above: The parts store building, canteen / staff room on the left, oil store on the right, with main parts building seen behind. All of the buildings on the site were constructed in this style, the canteen gives us an idea of the appearance of the now demolished admin building and miners dry.

IMG_8363.JPG

Above: The original electrical substations, switchrooms, etc. This area is now in use for power generation using coal gas, the gas being extracted from the second mineshaft, which is behind the metal fence, far left. This section is secure, alarmed, has modern CCTV cameras and on the day we visited, people working. We stayed away from the live section and were not disturbed.

IMG_8371.JPG

Above: Helmet

IMG_8379.JPG

Above: Artwork in the smaller offices, upstairs in the fitters workshop building

IMG_8380.JPG

Above: Artwork in the smaller offices, upstairs in the fitters workshop building

IMG_8382.JPG

Above: Mine cart tracks. The site is criss-crossed with these everywhere. They lead to the capped mineshaft (top left) The transfer yard (Right) and to the second shaft and fitters workshops (bottom left).

IMG_8385.JPG

Above: Fitters workshop roller shutter

IMG_8396.JPG

Above: Power generation building, seen from doorway of smaaller fitters workshop

IMG_8397.JPG

Above - Smaller fitters workshop

IMG_8399.JPG

Above: Live section of ssite - the original substations and switchrooms, now in use for power generation. Secure, alarmed and manned.

IMG_8402.JPG

Above: Robin...... On the wall of fitters workshops

IMG_8403.JPG

Above: Small turntable for mine trucks / locos used in the mine. Mine trucks and locos could be brought into the workshops for repair. Tracls run in through every door and all the wal end to end inside. A now removed gantry crane spanmned the entire building.

IMG_8419.JPG

Above: Smoke grenade. Either from police training, or from someone maybe using the site for some kind of paintball / war games

IMG_8421.JPG

Above: REuse, REduce, REcycle... ...REdevelop?

IMG_8423.JPG

Above: The transfer yard. Ringed by rail tracks, trucks could be unloaded here into road vehicles. Whilst the site never hauled coal to the surface, it being sent underground to Gascoigne Wood, waste spoil from shaft sinking and mine development would have been handled here

Last edited:

Slyspark

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
And a few more pictures I couldn't fit on the original report:

IMG_8424.JPG

Above: Parts store and smaller oil store buildings, seen from end of transfer yard

IMG_8426.JPG

Above: Camera, altho this apperas long out of use

IMG_8428.JPG

Above: dummy bullets - from the police firearms training sometimes conducted here. The site is littered with literally thousands of these.

IMG_8431.JPG

Above: Floodlight mast in the transfer yard

IMG_8440.JPG

Above: Hat in small workshop pen, off transfer yard

IMG_8441.JPG

Above: Switchgear in workshop pen off transfer yard

IMG_8443.JPG

Above: storage pens at far end of transfer yard. The building in the distance is the parts store.

IMG_8445.JPG

Above: Transfer yard, with power generation building just visible top left, fitters workshops in the middle and the parts store top right.

IMG_8450.JPG

Above: Transfer yard, with fitters workshops left and the parts store right.
IMG_8451.JPG

Above: Miracle - not sure how this has survived 20 yrs when everything else is trashed, maybe it's too useful....

Last edited:

Slyspark

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Prob more pics than needed there but I do like the cart tracks!

Any underground workings accessible I wonder?
Given they are generating power from gas recovered from the mine, I'd assume that to do that, you'd have to keep the mine at least partly pumped dry, or no gas... ...unless it just bubbles up through the water? On that basis, presumably there is some sort of access. The second shaft from which the gas is recovered is capped, but has a couple of manhole covers set in it, so I guess it might be possible. I'm not sure I'd be that keen tho - vertical shaft and the risk of coal gas explosion, I don't think I'll be trying to find out.

I know it's not quite the same, but whilst up that way, I also visited Caphouse Colliery - home to the National Coal Mining Museum. You can indeed tour the mine there, once you've descended the shaft in a cage, suspended under the headgear. That was extremely interesting. Tour lasts about an hour and a half. I'd definitely recommend it.

Bikin Glynn

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Given they are generating power from gas recovered from the mine, I'd assume that to do that, you'd have to keep the mine at least partly pumped dry, or no gas... ...unless it just bubbles up through the water? On that basis, presumably there is some sort of access. The second shaft from which the gas is recovered is capped, but has a couple of manhole covers set in it, so I guess it might be possible. I'm not sure I'd be that keen tho - vertical shaft and the risk of coal gas explosion, I don't think I'll be trying to find out.

I know it's not quite the same, but whilst up that way, I also visited Caphouse Colliery - home to the National Coal Mining Museum. You can indeed tour the mine there, once you've descended the shaft in a cage, suspended under the headgear. That was extremely interesting. Tour lasts about an hour and a half. I'd definitely recommend it.

yeah done the big pit underground tour that is good.

SRT down shaft is not a issue but If they are burning off gas I assume its firedamp (methane) so yep u deff dont want to be in there

dave

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I also visited Caphouse Colliery - home to the National Coal Mining Museum. You can indeed tour the mine there, once you've descended the shaft in a cage, suspended under the headgear. That was extremely interesting. Tour lasts about an hour and a half. I'd definitely recommend it.
Totally agree ive done the underground tour and would also recommend it. I went with my late brother we had a great afternoon.

bondirob

28DL Member
28DL Member

Just to confirm there’s no access underground. The methane is extracted through pipe work. There may be some access for maintenance a few metres into no2 shaft but that will be it.

Slyspark

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Just to confirm there’s no access underground. The methane is extracted through pipe work. There may be some access for maintenance a few metres into no2 shaft but that will be it.
Cheers for the reply, Figured that'd be the case, as to keep that lot pumped dry would presumably use any electricity it actually produced to run the pumps anyway... Would have been a cool place to have been able to actually go underground and get to see, but alas, not gonna happen.

bondirob

28DL Member
28DL Member
Cheers for the reply, Figured that'd be the case, as to keep that lot pumped dry would presumably use any electricity it actually produced to run the pumps anyway... Would have been a cool place to have been able to actually go underground and get to see, but alas, not gonna happen.
No worries, I suppose it would be a cool place to have a look round. This is only a guess but I reckon the pit bottom could still be dry. South side of the pit is lower than the pit bottom so the water probably hasn’t made it there yet. West is uphill and North is higher but dips lower to get to the faces. They could both flow into the pit bottom but first they have to go past the East side which is all downhill for a long way and then it goes into the old North Selby workings so it could take decades to fill that .