real time web analytics
Report - - Stockport Gas Holders, Denton, 02/24 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Stockport Gas Holders, Denton, 02/24

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

TalkingMask

Professional Twat
28DL Full Member
I’ll start this by saying I know nothing about this place, I found it on google earth on a college day and thought ‘yeah this looks good’, walked about 9km and fought armies of brambles (it was clear no one had been here in a while)

So sorry about the lack of history, if anyone knows anything please let me know and I’ll update it ASAP

Explore

On a cold winters morning, a time before the light
I had already figured out the path, armed ourselves with the toughest of gloves and most gorgeous of looks expecting an easy walk with a derped-out water tank

Didn’t expect a hike, a whole forest worth of brambles and the most perfectly decayed building I’ve ever seen

Access was not easy for us as it involved crushing brambles taller than me, and trying to not fall through the fence gates into the water reservoirs (not good) but we cleared the way so it should be easier now
Whilst this place isn’t in use I think, the works next to it is and getting to it does mean walking past what looks like a gypsy camp so it’s certainly a trek, but I thought worth it
When there it was a chilled out mooch, some easy climbing nothing special, but was just so pretty to see the boilers (I’m assuming they are)

2c2f13fc-fd8b-433b-b752-9e3ad2f51ca0.jpeg

IMG_6726.jpeg

IMG_6727.jpeg

IMG_6729.jpeg

IMG_6745.jpeg

IMG_6731.jpeg

IMG_6730.jpeg

Some external buildings we found, COMPLETELY stripped of anything but was gorgeous to see compared to the setting sky

988e1e50-e09f-4e79-8760-869c48212865.jpeg

IMG_6756.jpeg

IMG_6759.jpeg

IMG_6757.jpeg

And a bit of fun to end the mooch

bc6b9fd0-ffc4-4164-bd7a-e660b9919018.jpeg

Have a great day guys

IMG_6752.jpeg

Last edited:

Mikeymutt🐶

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Funnily enough I pinned this for a maybe visit when next going to Scotland. I thought it was in Denton though and was once part of the waterworks. I was just going to try get in from the front bit though.

TalkingMask

Professional Twat
28DL Full Member
Funnily enough I pinned this for a maybe visit when next going to Scotland. I thought it was in Denton though and was once part of the waterworks. I was just going to try get in from the front bit though.
We got through from reddish vale so I assumed Reddish, not entirely sure as I know nothing about it lol, definitely worth it for a little mooch though, I thought it was water but those huge tanks remind me of gas tanks

If anyone knows anything please inform, I’m extremely confused :)

Mikeymutt🐶

28DL Regular User
Regular User
We got through from reddish vale so I assumed Reddish, not entirely sure as I know nothing about it lol, definitely worth it for a little mooch though, I thought it was water but those huge tanks remind me of gas tanks

If anyone knows anything please inform, I’m extremely confused :)
Looking on the map it might have been gas works as it’s on the other side of the river. So maybe one side gas and the other water. But not familiar with the area as four hours away from me. That plant room does look lovely and what drew me in to maybe look. But them holders look small, so maybe them holders were something for the waterworks, I don’t know ha ha.

TalkingMask

Professional Twat
28DL Full Member
Looking on the map it might have been gas works as it’s on the other side of the river. So maybe one side gas and the other water. But not familiar with the area as four hours away from me. That plant room does look lovely and what drew me in to maybe look. But them holders look small, so maybe them holders were something for the waterworks, I don’t know ha ha.
If it helps, there were a lot of these huge but low concrete rectangles along the ground with rails running along them, I know next to nothing about water or gas industry, never mind older industries

But yeah the plant room was lovely, half expecting a graffed crack den, didn’t expect some decent intact boilers and pipeworks

Mikeymutt🐶

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Yeah I ain’t to familiar with the workings. I don’t really know Manchester really for exploring, but someone local might know more about it. But yeah you would expect that to be trashed.

FreshFingers

Choose life, choose tunnels
Regular User
Nice jaunt you had there. Nice to see the place again after many years, brings back very fond memories.

Location-wise, I'd go for Denton as a location, but only based on the entrance being on the road in and out of Denton. If I recall, I think the little bridge (Beight Bridge) over the Tame is the historical boundary point, as the river is used as a boundry point, effectivly cradling the sewage works under Denton's township. This side has a much easier way in, or it did have. You would have walked past the more 'modern' circular filter beds this way. The original beds and fancy cast iron workings were taken in 2014ish.

The two Ames Crosta Mills & Co. Boilers were used to heat sludged sewage from the beds, which then produced gas for collection in the two holders. I think they did something with the remaining 'cake' once it had been extracted too. Hmm, there's today's research lined up for me!

There was a flooded control room we never got to look in, but I suppose that's always going to be submerged. @Alley did a great report many years back, it suffered a few broken picture links, so maybe it got canned during a site update/tidy/purge.

Good work.

TalkingMask

Professional Twat
28DL Full Member
Nice jaunt you had there. Nice to see the place again after many years, brings back very fond memories.

Location-wise, I'd go for Denton as a location, but only based on the entrance being on the road in and out of Denton. If I recall, I think the little bridge (Beight Bridge) over the Tame is the historical boundary point, as the river is used as a boundry point, effectivly cradling the sewage works under Denton's township. This side has a much easier way in, or it did have. You would have walked past the more 'modern' circular filter beds this way. The original beds and fancy cast iron workings were taken in 2014ish.

The two Ames Crosta Mills & Co. Boilers were used to heat sludged sewage from the beds, which then produced gas for collection in the two holders. I think they did something with the remaining 'cake' once it had been extracted too. Hmm, there's today's research lined up for me!

There was a flooded control room we never got to look in, but I suppose that's always going to be submerged. @Alley did a great report many years back, it suffered a few broken picture links, so maybe it got canned during a site update/tidy/purge.

Good work.
Thanks for some of the history, didn’t expect it to be both sewage and gas so that’s fairly fascinating, and I think I know what room you were on about, in the green box? Flooded when we were there too, couldn’t see far down at all

I tried to see a way in through the modern section of the plant on google earth but it looked like I had to cross some sketchy fences, so we ended up taking the harder route, paid off either way would’ve just saved me waking up sore and covered in cuts

But definitely a lovely little site, seems almost untouched with the lack of graff and great decay, definitely worth the visit

TalkingMask

Professional Twat
28DL Full Member

Good work.
I found his report

FreshFingers

Choose life, choose tunnels
Regular User
The room had a set of iron stairs leading underground, to the left as you walk in. Most likely just pump and pipework anyway.

Mind the bright colours and excess skin on show in that report! :D

TalkingMask

Professional Twat
28DL Full Member
The room had a set of iron stairs leading underground, to the left as you walk in. Most likely just pump and pipework anyway.

Mind the bright colours and excess skin on show in that report! :D
Yeah wasn’t the first thing I expected when I opened it :rofl

But yeah I might need another look around at some point to see if I can find them steps, definitely due another visit anyway to get pictures that do justice