real time web analytics
Report - - Sunnymede Primary School, Southport - February 2016 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Sunnymede Primary School, Southport - February 2016

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

ladybrade

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Sunnymede Primary was Southport’s last standing independent school, and celebrated its 50th anniversary shortly before closing at the end of term in 2010.

The Head Teacher of the school, Simon Pattinson joined his father Alan (who was then Head Teacher) in 1960, and after 10 years of family management, Alan retired, handing over the reins to Simon, assisted by his wife Vicky.

Over the years there were many significant changes to the school, including becoming coeducational and educational and the development of a Kindergarden department. And as the school continued to progress, the curriculum adapted to include a range of modern, popular subjects such as computing and technology. Whilst music and drama were always at the forefront, and increasing range of sporting activities were considered an integral part of everyday life.

Whilst man similar schools of its type throughout the UK failed to survive the harsh reality of difficult economic climates ad dropping number of pupils, the strength of Sunnymede, with it's exacting standards and major focus on individual child development often outperformed larger schools in person achievement.

Simon once commented that “This family school has literally been my life’s work, and it is to the testament of pupils, past and present, our wonderful teachers and the constant support from many parents and friends that have allowed us to reach this fabulous milestone (50 year anniversary)”.

The reason for this sad demise is due, on one hand to a failing roll over it’s last 12 to 18 months, and on the other to an increase in expenditure created by the various regulations and legislations imposed by the government.

Access was easy enough, and the school is located away from the main road, but overlooked by residential to the left side.

img_3386.jpg

img_3391.jpg

img_3393.jpg

img_3388.jpg

img_3394.jpg

img_3390.jpg

img_3381.jpg

img_3383.jpg

img_3387.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

ladybrade

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I'm still surprised the piano and those plates are intact
Same here, there's actually two - one in the main school and one in the building across from it, both still in tact and playable. I've seen a few reports since I went, I think the plates are now gone.

Brendico

28DL Member
28DL Member
Ladybrade I am in Southport well live here. Home there tonight and the main school has been all boarded up again. Will have to go with you one time

Lantaloon

28DL Member
28DL Member
Unfortunately all the history I could find is above, I had a good dig but there's not much about the school at all!
As a former pupil I can give you some history of both Sunnymede and the building "Wyborne Gate" itself. I joined the school in September 1970 which was the schools first term in this building. Previously it occupied an old house in Grosvenor Road, Birkdale (demolished early 1970's). Sunnymede catered for boys only at the time aged 4 - 13 years and there were just over 100 pupils when I started. The modern building to the right was the Headmaster's house built by the then head Alan Pattinson circa 1973/4; prior to this he lived with his wife and family in the wooden building at the back accessed from the downstairs corridor. One of the teachers told me the building had formerly been used as an old peoples home; at the time one of the outbuildings accessed from the back entrance had about 6 baths in it. Although it has changed a lot in 45 years I can still recognise much from the photos and I am quite upset. I do hope it gets saved....

ladybrade

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Ah
As a former pupil I can give you some history of both Sunnymede and the building "Wyborne Gate" itself. I joined the school in September 1970 which was the schools first term in this building. Previously it occupied an old house in Grosvenor Road, Birkdale (demolished early 1970's). Sunnymede catered for boys only at the time aged 4 - 13 years and there were just over 100 pupils when I started. The modern building to the right was the Headmaster's house built by the then head Alan Pattinson circa 1973/4; prior to this he lived with his wife and family in the wooden building at the back accessed from the downstairs corridor. One of the teachers told me the building had formerly been used as an old peoples home; at the time one of the outbuildings accessed from the back entrance had about 6 baths in it. Although it has changed a lot in 45 years I can still recognise much from the photos and I am quite upset. I do hope it gets saved....

Ah, thanks for that! It's always good to find out more information, this was one of my all time face purée explores!

Maya

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Same here, there's actually two - one in the main school and one in the building across from it, both still in tact and playable. I've seen a few reports since I went, I think the plates are now gone.

The plates are very much gone!