real time web analytics
Report - - Sunnyside Hospital / Montrose Asylum, Scotland - April 2016 | Asylums and Hospitals | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Sunnyside Hospital / Montrose Asylum, Scotland - April 2016

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Exploring with Andy

Behind Closed Doors
Staff member
@SpiderMonkey posted his report from our visit to Sunnyside a little while ago and it proved to be quite popular, so I suppose I should get round to posting mine too. I didn't know what to expect from this place when we arrived, and I must say I was pleasantly surprised.

History

Sunnyside Royal Hospital, originally called the Montrose Asylum, was a psychiatric hospital located north of Montrose in Scotland.

Sunnyside was the second site for the local psychiatric hospital in Angus. The original Montrose Asylum, which was the first asylum in Scotland, was funded by public subscription established by local woman Susan Carnegie and opened in 1781. Expanding patient numbers led to the purchase of a new site in Hillside and the current hospital buildings opened in 1857.

sunnyside-montrose-historic-1.jpg
Archive image of Sunnyside Hospital / Montrose Asylum when the building was in use

The site was further developed with the construction of a new facility for private patients called Carnegie House in 1899. Despite this addition, overcrowding was a problem, as the asylum's patient numbers had grown to 670 by 1900. Two new buildings - Howden Villa (1901) and Northesk Villa (1904) - were added. Additional staff were recruited and the Westmount Cottages were built in 1905 to house them. In 1911 the lease of Sunnyside Farm expired and over 52 acres were purchased for £4500. A further development was the addition of Angus House, which was built in 1939 to accommodate elderly patients suffering from dementia.

From the 1970s, advances in psychiatric care and greater community resources, including supported accommodation and the set up of three community mental health teams in the 1990s, led to reduced patient numbers and the closure of some of the buildings on the Sunnyside site.

sunnyside-montrose-35.jpg

One of the glass corridors

sunnyside-montrose-16.jpg

One of the older wards with original cells still in place

sunnyside-montrose-18.jpg

Rows of cell doors

sunnyside-montrose-14.jpg

View down ward corridor

sunnyside-montrose-15.jpg

Peely paint in one of the cells

sunnyside-montrose-34.jpg

Corridor of cells

sunnyside-montrose-10.jpg

Ward with original cells

sunnyside-montrose-13.jpg

Curtains and fireplace on an old ward

sunnyside-montrose-12.jpg

Inside a cell

sunnyside-montrose-3.jpg

Main entrance hallway

sunnyside-montrose-2.jpg

Curtains hanging inside a small open ward

sunnyside-montrose-6.jpg

Curtains still hanging on another ward

sunnyside-montrose-8.jpg

Hydrotherapy bath

sunnyside-montrose-20.jpg

Sluice room

sunnyside-montrose-24.jpg

Dining room

sunnyside-montrose-25.jpg

Dining hall

sunnyside-montrose-22.jpg

The grand hall with stage at one side

sunnyside-montrose-36.jpg

View down the hall

sunnyside-montrose-23.jpg

Backdrop on the stage

sunnyside-montrose-4.jpg

Grand wooden-panelled room

sunnyside-montrose-21.jpg

Room by the hall

sunnyside-montrose-32.jpg

Piano and sewing machines in an older part of the building

sunnyside-montrose-30.jpg

Nature creeping in to a conservatory

sunnyside-montrose-37.jpg

View over the glass corridors and one of two rotundas

sunnyside-montrose-27-28.jpg

Inside the rotuna had been split into two rooms. The room on the left shows the original ceiling skylight

sunnyside-montrose-29.jpg

Split view of glass walkway corridor​

Speed

Got Epic?
Regular User
Tbh I thought the blacksmiths shop was the best bit. Never seen that at an asylum before.

the darkside

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Those pics are just fking epic!!! Might have to pay a visit myself!!! Gimme a shout if you fancy a re-visit.