real time web analytics
Report - - Swinging The Chain, Cleckheaton, August 2022 | UK Draining Forum | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Swinging The Chain, Cleckheaton, August 2022

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

jezzyboo

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Out and about around west yorkshire i decided to check out a possible couple of culverts id seen on maps . The first one was across the road from Cleckheaton fire station

P9040149.JPG
stinky stagnant water
P9040151.JPG
more rocky than a lunar landscape and stoopy as hell ! oh well:face could see light at the end of the tunnel as well so it was about turn and check out the other culvert .
P9040152.JPG
This looked more promising twin stone arches at the infall at the side of the A58 across the road from starbucks access was easy peasy in to the Spen river
P9040153.JPG
going down the right hand tunnel the culvert was almost bone dry , a chain was swung across so went back outside and went down the left hand culvert were the main flow of water was
P9040154.JPG
moving on downstream
P9040156.JPG
looking back to the start, There were these wooden boards to climb over this was the only deep bit of the explore ( thigh deep )
P9040155.JPG
then looking forward the stone arches gone and replaced with concrete box section
P9040158.JPG
twin box section just like the arches this was the other drier side
P9040159.JPG
view downstream from the drier right hand side
P9040160.JPG
back to the left hand side box looking back to the start
P9040161.JPG
then view downstream left hand side totally blocked so back over to the other side
P9040162.JPG
A bit further on and 2 became one tunnel it also increased in height which was welcome as the first concrete bit unlike the arches was stoopy
P9040163.JPG
view downstream ,wasnt a small culvert this but was messy !
P9040164.JPG
knee deep in places but quite rocky you can see with all the bits of grass and stuff how high the water has been !
P9040165.JPG

P9040166.JPG

P9040167.JPG

P9040169.JPG
change in styles here and an incoming water pipe couldnt see the bottom here so had to go carefully
P9040171.JPG
not sure what was going on above ground ( or below ) but this wall was hot and the water was steaming of it never encountered this in a culvert before
P9040172.JPG
this bit was a challenge was misty with the steam and had to crawl past a large blockage did consider turning back but glad i pushed on
P9040174.JPG
looking back upstream thankfully the steam or mist cleared
P9040173.JPG
concrete sides replaced brickwork
P9040176.JPG
looking back upstream
P9040175.JPG
light at the end
P9040178.JPG
last look back
P9040177.JPG

P9040179.JPG
the outfall back under the bridge were i found a pair of bolt croppers !
P9040181.JPG
easy climb out on to the b6121 hunsworth lane , Enjoyed this one quite a length and not small it was however messy thanks for viewing

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Looks like tough going. I always wonder how the bigger rubbish gets right in the middle of these culverts. Curious having a hot wall and steam, intriguing. Well done on completing this!

NuBoid

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Nice one Jezzyboo
I also went for a sniff at the first one a few years ago. The pic is quite deceiving, it looks manageable from the shots but it;s most definitely not if you value your back and your ankles.
I tried to trace this and believe it ultimately runs through a million cube tank down in the valley bottoms (recent flood alleviation scheme), which I haven't got around to peeking at yet....someday perhaps !!!!!
That drain wants a good sweep out BTW........got its fair share of pterodactyl nests in there haha

Doug

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Nice. Doesn't look very repetitive like half the drains at this end of the commonwealth

jezzyboo

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Nice one Jezzyboo
I also went for a sniff at the first one a few years ago. The pic is quite deceiving, it looks manageable from the shots but it;s most definitely not if you value your back and your ankles.
I tried to trace this and believe it ultimately runs through a million cube tank down in the valley bottoms (recent flood alleviation scheme), which I haven't got around to peeking at yet....someday perhaps !!!!!
That drain wants a good sweep out BTW........got its fair share of pterodactyl nests in there haha
Think you said you have done this one ? be nice to have a nosy at that underground tank when the weather gets better give us a shout :)

NuBoid

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Hey jezzyboo
Yes Ive done this one a while back
Not been down the pipe in the first pic tho
I'll PM ya some info on the big tank.............would mean popping some lids in a residential area tho
Might have to get dressed up and look official....haha......... bring your hard hat. hi vis and clipboard....oh, and your Yorkshire Water van !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Phil1

28DL Member
28DL Member
Hey jezzyboo
Yes Ive done this one a while back
Not been down the pipe in the first pic tho
I'll PM ya some info on the big tank.............would mean popping some lids in a residential area tho
Might have to get dressed up and look official....haha......... bring your hard hat. hi vis and clipboard....oh, and your Yorkshire Water van !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Amazing what you can get away with when you stick a high vis on.

Who has read this thread (Total: 149) View details