real time web analytics
Report - - Tarakaniv Fort - Ukraine - September 2021 | European and International Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Tarakaniv Fort - Ukraine - September 2021

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Boiga

Somewhat Radioactive
28DL Full Member
On my Ukrainian adventure in September 2021, I was meeting up with a group of friends who drove down from Estonia we needed a place to meet, I wasn't able to join them for the start of the trip so they gave me their boarder location and I went searching for a cool area to meet, so I hit Atlas Obscurer and looking for meeting places and I came across Tarakaniv Fort. Absolutely amazing place to visit, I highly recommend it. The car park is a great wild camp spot – I slept in the rental Ibiza as I didn’t have a tent. Pictures are not great, I was planning on revisiting here and Chernobyl in September 2022, alas I don’t think that’s going to happen now.

Torch is an absolute necessity!

History

During the late 18th century the massive fort was constructed to help protect the Liviv-Kyiv rail road and it’s surrounding areas. It was constructed with many underground levels on a complex of 4 hectares and modern infrastructure throughout. Such as a ventilation system, electrical supply network, water pipeline, telephone connection, laundry room, dining room and bakery. At the time it cost 66 million rubles and designed by a military engineer called Eduard Totleben.

During its time it contained 40 cannons of different Calabar and 10 machine guns, however in 1905 there was a lot of unrest amongst the soldiers, the fort was turned into a prison. It really only saw action in WW1 when the building was invaded and under the rule of the Austrians, where much of the fort was destroyed and many tombs where created for Austrian soldiers who defended the fort. Although, it didn’t come into play in WW2, but after the war the government decided the vast underground tunnels should be embedded within concrete so we will never know what’s below ground.

It’s also claimed to be haunted by the ghosts of Austrian soldiers who’re said to be wondering the fort at night.

Source: https://vidviday.ua/blog/en/tarakaniv-fort-the-hunted-place/

-- iPhone 11 Pro Max was used to shoot, mixture of wide angle and normal lens. It has created some weird destortion!

Will give it a better shot next time I go!

Thanks for looking.

Слава Україні!

Attachments

• IMG_5223.jpg
    IMG_5223.jpg
    770 KB · Views: 31
Last edited: