real time web analytics
Report - - Thames Steel - Sheerness (July 2015) | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Thames Steel - Sheerness (July 2015)

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

camoe

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
This is our second visit to Thames Steel, it was far too big to do in a day! we felt like we needed to make the 6 Hour round trip to go again. after a long drive down we arrived and it didn't look like a thing had changed - maybe the Tour Bus hadn't arrived yet? ;) we ventured through the site with the goal of getting on the roof of the large casting building in the centre, on first glance it looked like the ladders had been cut off to the roof access gantries we made our way up to the top gantry's where the cranes are and there it was the ladder submerged in a pool of sunlight! YES! we got there, and what a spectacle it was!

We then started making our way over to the building at the front adjacent to the secca hut - we hadn't explored this part before, the vast open space was insane - we spotted a small door at the back of the control tower, we walked though and found another set of offices at the front looking out towards where all of the new car's were being stored, this was the highlight for me it looked like no one had explored it before! there were coffee cups still on peoples desks, Plans of the site, complete with old drawing tables and all the bits and pieces!

All in all it was an excellent explore, i think i could go back a 3rd time! i apologise about the lack of photographs, i forgot the base plate for my tripod, and as you know a lot of the site is selectively dark making it very hard to shoot hand held! (I've popped a few photos from our last visit in!)

History (Stolen from Norfolkexplorer)
In January 2012 the site all of a sudden shut with the loss of 350 Jobs. The site had previously been sold to Al-Tuwairqi Group (ATG) in 2002 when its previous owners went into liquidation. But obviously things did not improve.
There are now rumours in the local press that part of the site could open as a rolling mill by the summer of 2015 creating 120 jobs.

DSCF0027_zpsnxon2qak.jpg

DSCF0037_zps8kmpkna2.jpg

DSCF0047_zpsw7km0kss.jpg

DSCF0051_zpsgya747yj.jpg

DSCF0057_zpslv22z3mo.jpg

DSCF0074_zpsp2omcqjr.jpg

DSCF0110_zpsk8rztt7z.jpg

DSCF0242_zpsrup4rm6d.jpg

DSCF0251_zpslstwf9iv.jpg

DSCF0254_zpswzcrcpxk.jpg

DSCF0276_zps9ir9rab4.jpg

DSCF0283_zpscqkm3kgf.jpg

DSCF0294_zpsosx8m8ab.jpg

DSCF0298_zps431emryw.jpg

DSCF0313_zpsh1jez3cj.jpg

DSCF0335_zpsklobt5di.jpg

norfolkexplorer

Quite often seen exploring further than Norfolk
28DL Full Member
Nice 1. Just like you I could do that place for a 3rd time as still not seen it all

Session9

A life backwards
28DL Full Member
Nice. Yeah, think I need another visit, so much to see.
The front office sounds interesting :)

silentwalker

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Great little report man! Still need to pop down there! Only 20 mins from me, I have no excuse :D

camoe

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Great little report man! Still need to pop down there! Only 20 mins from me, I have no excuse :D

No Excuse at all man, well worth the 20 mins, if its worth the 3 hours!

Nice. Yeah, think I need another visit, so much to see.
The front office sounds interesting :)

Its a bit dark and dinghy, but hey, plenty of plans and interesting bits of pieces to rummage though!

Wevsky

A Predisposed Tourist
Regular User
Nicely done mate its a wicked site and i managed to peek out the roof from the top of a gantry but it was a tad obvious so came back in..Think the tour bus hit this a few years back unless the second wave is about to start;)

Luke vaughan

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Totally demolished now if anyone wanted to make trip to this location as it’s been demod and redevelopment taking place